Translate

Sunday, December 4, 2022

December 4, 2022

            I am not sure, but I think something exciting should happen in 20 days, what could it be? Now I said exciting, possibly I should have said, expensive.

            I think we now have all the decorations that we are going to display, displayed. I did put a decoration on the mail box, and some colored lights on a bush yesterday. I then moved excess items from the Ford’s ole garage to the Ford’s ole shed. We can now once again park the Ford’s ole van in the garage.

            There was some debris in the front yard and back 40 that needed to be picked up, but it was too cold and windy yesterday. Possibly today, my ole body might get outside.

            Topic change: this morning as I was enjoying a cup of homemade coffee, and watching the religious program on the TV, the minister made some comments that brought back a couple old thoughts.

            He was more or less saying we should believe in the Lord and always follow the 10 commandments. As an example, he said, if you are paying for something and the person who gives you change makes a mistake, and gives you an extra 20-dollar bill, and you keep it saying, wow I have extra money, and your child is with you, what kind of example are you setting.

            That reminded me of an event from more than 70 years ago. I was probably 4 years old; I was with mom at the Ruth’s Grocery Store, [back in Missouri] buying groceries. As mom was shopping, I saw the grapes, and I reached up and took one. Mom did not see me get the grape but noticed that I was eating something. She asked what I had, I told her I had a grape, and I showed her where I got it from. She told me that was stealing and she took me to a store employee and told them what I had done.

            The above event where Mom turned me in for stealing at the age of 4, may be why I have tried throughout my life to not steal anything and to be as honest as possible.

Two events came to mind when the minister was talking about someone getting 20-dollars in error and keeping it. I have on two occasions received and extra 20-dollars from the teller machine at my bank, and both times I took the 20-dollar bill back into the bank. Both times the person I gave the money to, looked at me like I was a little crazy, I think they were surprised that anyone would be honest. It was not my money, and I was not going to keep it.

I am just pointing out that being honest and not taking something that isn’t mine helps me feel better.

Well, it is time for another cup of homemade coffee, we hope you have a safe and productive day filled with honesty.

Honesty is the best policy!

Senior ole retired person who tries, Don the Ford

May today be better than your best day, but not as good as tomorrow!

No comments: