Translate

Monday, December 6, 2021

Volunteer 12/06/2021

            They were talking about volunteers on the TV which caused me to begin thinking, I am glad we have people who volunteer to help others. Those who get helped by the volunteers are blessed, but I believe the true volunteers are blessed even more!

            In years past, I was a volunteer fireman, and last night as I was sitting on the side of the bed, I began remembering things about being a volunteer fireman. The first thing that came to mind was, I would have a pair of pants and my shoes at the side of the bed, ready to jump into if we received a call, my shirt would be hanging on the door.

            All the volunteer firemen had pagers that would allow us to receive the notification of an emergency. Our emergencies could be fires, house, grass vehicles, medical emergencies of all types, and vehicle accidents. Heck I remember that we went to a train derailment one time.

            The call for the volunteers came day or night. I remember one time my wife and both boys were at a restaurant in Hewitt, we had ordered our food and it had just been brought to the table when we received a call. I had not even taken a bite when I jumped up and headed to the station. Yep, my food was cold when I returned.

            I remember one house fire just down the street from our house, I was the fireman at the fire hydrant, my duties were to connect the fire hose to the hydrant, and turn the water on and off as needed. Now days, Tres likes to do his business on that hydrant. 

            Many of us firemen were trained to do many different things. Sometimes we were at the nozzle of the hose fighting the fire, other times we might be driving the firetruck, or we might be doing chest compressions on a victim. Being a fireman was a true learning experience.  

            As firemen we saw things that most people do not ever need to see, but I will not go into that. I will say, there was a head on collision, and after we worked that accident, my family began to use seat belts, and that was before they were required by law.

            Let's change the topic; I have another cat photo at the nativity.


  
           Molly does not seem to like the inside; she likes the top better.

            Now, let's get down to business; as I understand it, you have not been shopping for Christmas presents. There are 18 days left before Christmas arrives. I am asking each of you to remember, "It is better to give, than to receive"! Knowing it is better to give, then why haven't you been out shopping for my present? You don't have a lot of time, and I know you want to feel good about giving, and I want to help you feel good by accepting a gift or gifts from you! 😊

 

Begin shopping now!

Senior person who wants to help you, "feel good", buy my gift, Don the Ford

No comments: