Translate

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Gardening the ole way 05/12/2021

            I will likely make comments from the olden days as to my memories of gardening, but first allow me to state the fact that it did rain in Hewitt.

            I know, you don’t care that we received a very nice 1.5 inches here at the Homestead, so I will not bother you with that information!

            In the olden days, when I was a little person, actually I was never too little, I think I have a photo of an outing that our class from May Green School took, when I was 8years old. The photo is of a photo, so it isn’t too good, but you may be able to see the tall, well dressed fellow, in the front row, standing near some girls. Yep, the girls always wanted to be near me!



 How did I get off the topic? Please, try not to distract me anymore!

            In the olden days, many, if not most people, had some type of garden. I did not know of anyone who had a garden tiller, and I don’t know if they existed in the olden days. There was for us poor people, basically two ways to get the garden ready for planting.

            First, there was usually a fellow who had a couple mules with a wagon, and on the wagon, he had a plow. This fellow would go through the neighborhoods looking for work. For a few dollars he would plow up your garden area.

            The second method, if your garden wasn’t too large, would be to spade the garden. Spade was the term used to say, someone was using a shovel to get the garden ready for planting. Spading was a lot of work. Basically, one would start at the corner of the garden and dig the first shovel full of dirt. That shovel full would be turned over and dropped where it was dug from. Then about 3 or 4 inches away the next shovel full would be dug, turned over and dropped where it was dug from (no gaps between each shovel full). This would continue until the person reached the other corner, he would then start over next to the first row he had dug.         Lots of work spading a garden!

            Now why did I go through that with you? “I” will be needing to spade up the soon to be number 3 black berry patch. Let’s hope this ole persons body will be able to withstand the heavy work load of spading the patch. Real people can pay others to do their work, wish I was real!

Speak less, Listen and learn!

Senior retired person whose hands don’t fit a shovel handle very well, Don the Ford

No comments: