Translate

Thursday, December 28, 2023

December 28, 2023

            Good morning to you early risers, and good afternoon to both of you who sleep in. Not sure what all I will do today, I plan to have the Alex and Gabi here today, I know Alex will work, can I get the Gabi to work again? Last time they were here Gabi helped in the yard too.

My favorite wife usually makes some homemade Chicken Noodle soup for our lunch when the grandkids are here, but in an effort to let her rest from all the cooking she has done lately, we will go to the Chicken place and get our lunches there. 

            Yesterday’s events: My favorite wife went to rehab, and while she was there, I went to the Star coffee place for a cup. Then I went to the teller machine for our weekly stipend, after she got finished with the rehab, we went to the Wally world for two things, “shots and groceries”. After we had the shots and groceries, we then went to the HEB, for more groceries.

            I drove around the parking lot for a while hoping to find a parking spot close to the door, where my present wife had entered the store. I found a spot where I could see the parking spots in the handicap spaces, and I set there and waited for one of the cars to leave. When one of the cars left, I was able to move from where I was to the handicapped parking spot.

            We made it home and was able to get the groceries into the homestead. I was able to get a bite to eat and I was able to get into the Ford’s ole recliner for a nice nap.

            Let us alter the topic:  I was thinking about olden days when I was a child in Missouri. I can remember snow and the fact that we would go out and play in the snow. Yes, there was plenty of snowball fights, and we built snow men. I wonder how many kids here in Texas has never built a real snow man. Heck, we have been here for 44 years, and I remember only one real snow, where we had 7 inches of snow. We had a real sled and the kids in the neighborhood all seemed to want to ride on it. We also had a four-wheeler, and we would pull the sled around with the kids on it. I still have that ole sled in the shed.

            Now we do occasionally have snow, usually in the amount of an inch on the grass, but real snow is for you all in the north.

            I remember when I was a little kid and we lived in the country, it had snowed. Now my brother Jack had, somehow came up with a car hood, and we were using it for a sled. Hay a car hood worked good for sliding down the hill, but we could not guide it.

            I have another snow memory; I was a teenager and there was a nice big snow in Missouri. Several of us kids took our sleds and went to the golf course over by Cape Rock. Now if you are familiar with Missouri and Cape rock, then you know where I am speaking of. The golf course has a very long hill which came down to the road that was next to the Mississippi river. Us kids were going to the top of the hill and sliding down the hill on our sleds. I am fairly sure, if the people of the golf course knew we were there, they would have run us off.

            Another sled story occurred at work many years ago. We had snow here in Texas and we were at work. There were adults who said they had never slid down a hill on a sled, and they asked if we could take a sled from stock and at break or lunch go outside and slide down the hill in front of the building. We let them take a sled from stock and slide down the hill. Probably if the home office would have known, they would have had a fit, maybe even fired the manager, me.

            Life has been odd and fun. We hope you are having a good day and that you are being nice to others, while staying safe.

Ole sled rider.

Senior ole person who has memories, but can’t remember 10 minutes ago, Don the Ford

May today be better than your best day, but not as good as tomorrow!

 

No comments: