Translate

Friday, June 30, 2023

June 30, 2023

            Today is Friday, but is it Fry day? Do real people actually fry food anymore, doesn’t frying mean there is a bunch of bacon grease involved?

            It is now 9:00 and I am here at the key board entering this data for the reading publics edification. What has the Don done today prior to coming in here to the computer? Mr. Don has watered the flowers in flower pots, both front and back yards, and he has picked up the sticks and debris from the front yard, then he mowed the front yard. The front yard was mowed last Saturday and I had to wait for the grass to dry before mowing due to the sprinklers running that morning. Knowing that the yard needed to be mowed, I decided not to wait until tomorrow because the grass is dry today. I have not mowed the back 40, maybe tomorrow.

            I have a cup of homemade coffee here at the desk and I also have a cookie that I am allowed to enjoy after all that work. I even plan on a shower when I complete this soon to be wonder filled article. I know you did not ask, but it is an, “Oatmeal raisin cookie”!

            Allow me to tell you what my favorite wife and I did yesterday, yes it was a team effort. We defrosted the deep freeze. Now there may be a couple things that one might need to know before they would understand the extent of this project.

I think we received this freezer back in the late 80s. It was a gift from the neighbors who live across the street, they had it in their garage and no longer wanted it. We put it in our garage and it has been there all these years.

Before we started on the defrosting, I was allowed to go to the shed and remove items that were in front of and or on top of our big ice chest. This is a large ice chest which I put on the Ford’s ole red wagon and pulled to the garage. Inside the large ice chest was another normal sized ice chest and a small ice chest like you would take with you if you were going to work. Inside the normal sized ice chest was another small ice chest. In total we had 4 ice chests.

We then unloaded the freezer and put the frozen food in the chests, we filled them all plus we put a couple items in the refrigerator which is also in the garage. With the freezer door open I then pointed a fan blowing into the freezer, yes, the freezer was turned off. The freezer began to defrost quickly as it was hot in the garage and the fan was providing lots of hot air. we were able to get the freezer defrosted (ice removed, and inside of the freezer dried).

The large ice chest is said to keep ice in it for 5 days with an outside temp of 90 degrees. We took a break and went inside out of the heat to rest our ole bodies.

About 1.5 hours later we returned to the freezer and begin reloading the items. My present spouse was attempting to keep like items together, this took a while. Then I wiped out the ice chests and allowed them to dry in the sun for a while before returning them to the shed. Yes, I put the small chests in the big chest and then replaced all the items that I had removed from the shed. 

It was a lot of work and we both needed a little rest and some food, so we went out to supper.

Deiced!

Senior person who doesn’t like to work, but is glad he can, Don the Ford

May today be better than your best day, but not as good as tomorrow!

No comments: