Translate

Thursday, June 15, 2023

June 15, 2023

            Good morning to some of you, and good afternoon to others of you, and to that one person, and we all know who you are, good evening to you. Let’s see what is in the Don’s journal for today. Now, before that one person asks, I consider most of the data that I provide to the reading public as, “my journal”. It is for the most part what I did or did not do, will or will not do.

            Let’s get with it: yesterday my favorite grandson Alex and I did some scrap wood working together. I had previously cut 7 pieces of wood which needed to be sanded. I also wanted to use the router to round off the edges of the 7 scrap wood blocks. Unfortunately, we learned that half of the wood blocks had a crack in them, yep, one of them broke in half when I dropped one. I may have another piece of that same type scrap wood in the shed.

            It turns out the Alex is a good sander and he even tightened up a couple nuts on the sander that someone had failed to tighten. Sanding complete, we got the router out and after a very short demonstration of how to use the device, Alex was routing the wood. He learns quickly, and does good work. It was very hot yesterday and working outside for very long is difficult for ole senior people. Alex did help me get everything put away and the machines back into the garage.

            Later in the day: even though it was too hot to be sitting outside, we went outside to sit. I did place a couple air movers near where we were sitting in an effort to make it almost comfortable. We had two neighbors come over and sit with us, I did get a small fan to provide some additional air. There were lively discussions and some that were just interesting. We did discuss lawn sprinklers and who I had to check mine the other day. Both of us can work on the sprinklers but there are some parts of the system that we would rather leave to a professional.

            Today or tomorrow: I do want to get the back 40 mowed but it is so hot I hate to ask the yard man Alex to do it. Maybe we can get him started early and beat part of the heat.

           

            Management counselor: this is a follow up to yesterday’s posting about management. 

Managers at all levels need to understand what I am presenting today. As a manager you should be friendly with all staff, but you should not be friends with any of the staff.

Now I know someone is thinking how dumb that statement is, but let us consider. I have spoken about this in the past, and that I learned as a manager how that this can, and will, affect staff members. As a new manager in a new position, I became good friends with one of the staff members. We went fishing and hunting together, our families even knew each other. Even though I did not think I gave this person preferential treatment at work, there were those that thought I did. I often sat at his table during breaks and lunch, I probably spoke to him more often than some of the other staff, and that is seen is preferential, at least as seen by others.

Your hiring practices, your actions, your comments, are being watched by the other staff. As a manager you should be friendly with all staff, but you should not be friends with any of the staff.              

If you are a good manager, you should consider the above!

You may share this with anyone.

Friends or friendly?

Senior ole person who needs to go water the berry beds, Don the Ford

May today be better than your best day, but not as good as tomorrow!

No comments: