Translate

Thursday, March 16, 2023

March 16, 2023

            It’s raining this morning, not a heavy rain but it is raining. We have chances of storms tonight starting around 7:00, we hope everyone stays safe. Now that I am done prognosticating, (you didn’t know I even knew that word, did you? I even spelled it myself!) let’s get to the topic today, “School bus”.

            Yesterday after dropping the kids off at their homestead, I started for our homestead. Ahead of me was a school bus coming toward me, its lights were flashing, and I know it lets several kids out at this spot daily. I, (not wanting to break any laws and I did not want to run over any of the kids), came to a stop. The door opened and it took probably 30 seconds before the three kids exited the bus. I also noticed that the kids, after exiting the bus, seemed to walk at a slow pace across the road. The slow walking and slow dismounting got my attention.

            In the olden days, (here he goes again telling stories) when I was in the 7th grade, we lived one block from the Junior High School, so I did not ride the bus. Then as usual we moved out to the edge of town. When I say as usual, as long as I can remember, our family moved about every two years, and I focus those moves on my mom. In town mom would seem to get restless and say things like, you can’t go outside and work in the garden without the neighbors watching you. Out of town mom would again say, it is too far to drive to go to church and to the stores.

            Anyway, back to riding the bus, as I stated in the 7th grade we lived a block from the school, and in the 8th grade we lived probably 8 miles from the school, and I rode the bus. As I remember riding the bus we would be standing at the door before the bus stopped, ready to jump out. And we ran across the road. There was nothing slow or casual about our exiting the bus, or crossing the road.

            Heck, in the 8th grade I was the bus monitor. Yep I got out of the last class of the day a couple minutes early and went to the bus. I was in charge of seeing each student’s bus pass, before they got on the bus. Since I was the last one to get on the bus, did I get a seat at the rear of the bus, you bet I did. There was a girl and I do not remember her name, I did not ask to see her bus pass and she would save me a seat.

            I do remember one time my friend Kenny got into a fight on the bus and the bus driver told him to get off the bus. I decided to get off with him and we walked home, probably 4 or 5 miles. What are friends for, if we can’t walk home together. Now that I think about it, I lived about a half mile further down Bend Road than Kenny did.

            Well, I don’t have anything interesting to write about today so I guess I will get a cup of homemade coffee and aggravate my favorite wife. We hope you have a good day, stay safe and stay dry.

Bus monitor

Senior ole person who was a kid for years, Don the Ford

May today be better than your best day, but not as good as tomorrow!

No comments: