Translate

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Another day a dollar less 10/20/2021

            For us ole senior people, most days are not a dollar less, but many dollars less.

            Yesterday, we had a contractor here reviewing the work that we would like to get done. When they left, a neighbor lady arrived asking, “What are you all planning on doing now?” My spouse of more than half a century told her of the project that we are considering.

            This lady rescues and fosters dogs, so while she was here the neighbors’ dogs began barking. This lady asked, “Why don’t you have a wooden fence between your yard and theirs?” I quickly replied, where would we get the money? She seemed to think we had money to spend on things.

            I then said, lets get serious, as I looked her in the eye, she seemed to sense that I was going to say something bad, then I said, “Every time I refer to you, I refer to you as, The Dog Lady”. She smiled, and seemed to be ok with that terminology.

            The above all occurred during, and a little after, happy time at the Ford’s. My first wife and I do enjoy sitting outside in the late afternoon, when the weather is cooperative.

            Speaking of my present spouse, she was painting the wall on the front porch yesterday afternoon. However, she could not reach the top portion of the wall. I asked what her plan was, and she said she would get the step stool and finish painting. It was then, that I volunteered to help by painting the high portion of the wall. I was allowed to help, and I did get a stool to stand on. The wall doesn’t look too bad, although it is not complete, as the bottom board was reportedly still wet, from the washing prior to painting. 

            Yesterday, I did sand the four boards that will be used as supports on the church bench out front. My spouse wants me to use bolts to secure them to the bench, I would prefer to use screws. The bolts will be visible, screws could be counter sunk into the wood and not seen.

            I need to do a bunch of yard work all around the homestead. I have ignored proper trimming for the last two weeks, so trimming will take time. I need to be looking for weeds, as I have seen some in places where they usually are not located.  After all that back breaking work, I will then need to mow. This week, as I approach the laboring, in the homestead’s front yard and back 40, I will attempt to work at a pace that might, even satisfy you. Fast enough to get the work done, slow enough to not miss anything.  

            Time for me to take a break from all this finger tiring data entry, ole hands get tired easily. I might be able to hold a cup of coffee, with my tired ole hands.

Work hard, get tired!

Senior poet who did not know it, Don the Ford

No comments: