Translate

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Scouting who knew 03/25/2021

            I have been attempting to find the best way to begin this story. I have not come up with a good way to begin the presentation, so I will just jump in with both feet. Ok, you are right, I am too old to jump, so allow me to slide into the performance. 

            My favorite grandson has moved up to the boy scouts and we have been talking about scouting. These conversations brought memories of when I was a boy scout. I fine it interesting that I can recall something that happened more than 60 years ago, and I can’t remember what I did 5 minutes ago. Maybe my small brain is full!

            I was new to the boy scout troop, and this was my first camping venture with them. One of the leaders cooked chili for our evening meal. After eating there was a fire built and we all sat around the fire. They were telling ghost and bogeyman stories, which I assume is a normal activity when sitting around the fire.

            One of the stories they told was about a bogeyman named, “Red Eye”! This bad person was said to have one eye, and it glowed red.

            After the stories were told there was an initiation for me and one other new scout. All of us scouts walked down to a pond (in Texas it is called a tank) and there they tied me and the other boy with a rope and said we had better be there when they return in the morning.

            As soon as they left, I untied myself and the other boy, and we sat there on the bank of the pond in the dark. It was just a few minutes before the monster Red Eye came to get us. One of the smaller boys had gotten on the shoulders of one of the larger boys, and he had a flash light that glowed red. They were making sounds trying to scare us. They were about 30 feet from us when the boy carrying the other boy stepped in a hole and they fell to the ground.

            Red eye did not get us, no one was hurt. To be honest about this I was never scared, but it would have been different if the boys they left by the pond were scared. 

            That is one of my ole time stories, that for some reason stays in my ole brain.

            Topic change; my favorite spouse and I have several things planned to do today. We are hoping that we get a couple items that we had ordered, one is a control for the lights in her china cabinet (why don’t she have an American cabinet). We will go to the home store as I need a gate latch, and that is where we are supposed to pick up the light control. Now that it has been two weeks since the second shot, we plan to go to the cracker restaurant for supper today.

 

Get shot, wear a mask, be a friend!

 

Senior retired person who was a girl scout, yep, I use to scout for girls, Don the Ford

No comments: