Translate

Sunday, March 21, 2021

14 hands tall 03/21/2021

            Some of you know what the title line means.

            When I was about 11 years old, we lived outside the city limits. In my opinion, there is a difference between being outside the city limits, and living in the country. To me, houses are closer together when you live outside the city limits, and they are further apart when you live in the country.

            There was a man who lived down the road from our house, his name was Jim Furr. He was married but had no kids, he worked at the cement plant where my dad worked. Besides working for an employer, Jim was a horse trader. Their house was about a quarter of a mile from our house. Jim would buy and sell horses, pony’s and donkeys all the time. I don’t know if he ever made any money, but he like to buy and sell.

            Jim always called me Henry, as in Henry Ford. Jim did have an odd feature, on one hand he had two thumbs, yes two thumbs and they were grown together.

            I enjoyed riding the horses, pony’s and donkeys, and I learned some things like how to tie a saddle cinch, how to clean a hoof, some of the horse colors like, what a buckskin looked like. Do you know what, “Barn Sour” means, yep it means the horse don’t want to ride away from the barn, and he will quickly ride you back in the direction of the barn. When referring to how tall a horse was, we would state the height in hands. 14 hands would be 56 inches tall.

            A horse that did not want you riding on him did not only buck, they would some time attempt to rub you off. If the horse was able to get close to a fence, gate, or any thing solid they would literally rub against something, and if you weren’t aware of what the animal was doing you could be hurt.

            Did I note that most of the girls I knew who lived out of the city limits, had and rode horses?

            I guess that is enough remembering a part of my childhood.

 

Stay safe, be nice, mask up!

 

Senior retired person who use to ride horses, Don the Ford

 

No comments: