Translate

Monday, June 22, 2020

Father's day 06.21.2020

I never heard my dad say a curse word. When he became upset at something he would say, “Contrary outfit”! When he was working on something and things were not going right, instead of getting mad and throwing something, he would stop working, get a cup of coffee, and consider the situation as he sipped on the coffee.

 

As I understand it, when my dad was young he liked to fight. A fellow who grew up with dad told me, “When your dad was a kid he would rather fight then eat”! That may be true as dad told me when I was a kid, “Never start a fight, never run from a fight”!

 

One day when I was helping dad, we were cutting a log using a two person saw. This saw was about 5 feet long, and had a handle on each end. The proper way to use the saw was for each person in turn to pull the saw toward himself. I was both pulling and pushing when dad said, “Let the tool do the work”, meaning, “Don’t force it”. I still remember that statement when I am using any tool.

 

Dad always prayed before each meal and he said the same prayer ever time. “Bless this food lord, bless us, watch over us and keep us through this day, as we give you praise in Jesus name, Amen”. 

 

I learned from dad to not spend money that you didn't have, save up and pay cash.

 

For father’s day I don't need a present, but I do like a call saying happy father’s day. 

 

Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

1 comment:

John Snider said...

Your father was a wise man. He provided you with some great gifts for life. You are very lucky.