Translate

Thursday, November 4, 2021

Important is the word 11/04/2021

            I am making a negative comment today, we should not consider this as complaining. Often, as I am forced to listen to the TV, I hear a word pronounced, in my opinion, incorrectly. What could that word be? Did the title line provide a clue? The word is important. I hear people on TV occasionally say impordent. Most often I hear it from the female population.

            Maybe I am just too old, and I can’t tell the difference between tant and dent. I bet my ole ears are failing me and I am imagining the dent. I tell the grand kids that I am, “Silly grandpa”, so me being silly I probably just make things up, but not this!

            Let’s change topics just for a moment; a friend and I was talking recently about Racoons, (yes, I do have a friend). He has commented that there were coons (the word coon is short for racoon) around the area where he lives. That comment brought up ole memories.

            Back in the olden days in Missouri, people had dogs known as Coon Hounds. These hounds were specifically bread for hunting Coons. The actual Coon hunt was much different than most hunting, as it was done at night.

            Often times, two or more hunters would get together and take their Hounds out at night to an area where they want to hunt. They would usually take folding chairs or something to sit on, and when they had established their place to wait, they would turn the hounds loose.

            The men would sit around talking quietly and listening to the dog’s bark. These men knew the difference in the barking of their dogs. They would comment, that is XYZ, he is on the trail. They would sit there for a while listening, before the dogs would change their barking patterns. Then someone would say XYZ has one treed.

            The word treed meant, the dogs had trailed a coon, and the coon was up a tree. The hunters would get up, turn their lights on, grab the gun and head out into the woods in the direction of the barking dogs.

            It was not unusual to need to climb over, or go through a fence or two, on the way to the Coon. They would usually only carry one gun. When they arrived at the tree if they could see the coon they would shoot it, but if it was a young coon, they would let it go to be hunted later.

            I participated in several of these hunts. I did not have a Coon Hound, but my friend did.

            Switch it? Topic that is; this weekend it changes! Yes, you should set your clocks back an hour, your phone and computer should change the time without your input. Time change affects us all, but it seems to bother our dog and cats more than me.

            We did get some rain off and on yesterday, about one inch of rain here at the Homestead. 

            What? That is not any of your business, but I, being a sharing person, will enlighten you, and the reading public. We did flip the switch changing from air conditioner, to heater! I am one of those people who kick out from under the covers, I may do that less as the cooler weather takes over. Heck, I wore a sweat shirt today when I went to pick up the Alex at school, and I ran the heater in the pick-up several times as I sat and waited for the grandson. 

            Topic alteration; My wife allowed me to put two cacti into the Ford’s ole hot house yesterday, even though it was raining and there was water on the ground in the back 40. After placing said cacti in the hot house, I attempted to shut the door. I assume I should be happy that the weather was very cool yesterday, as the door to the hot house did not want to shut.

            Between the sliding door and the wall of the hot house, there was two large nests of either small wasps, or bees. They looked like bees and they were small, but I assume they were wasps. It was so cool that they could not fly, and I did get the wasp spray to annihilate them, it sprayed once and stopped. Who knows what will happen when I try to open the door later? 

 

May you and I, be blessed!

 

Senior retired silly grandpa, and one time coon hunter, Don the Ford

No comments: