Translate

Saturday, September 25, 2021

First time 09/25/2021

            The title line states, “The first time”, Do you remember your first time?

 

            This has nothing to do with the title line. I was sitting outside yesterday afternoon, enjoying the quiet afternoon, and an adult beverage when my attention was pulled up the street. There were two cats running from the house, four houses up the street. These cats were fighting and running across the street out of my sight. As soon as the noise from the cats stopped, a squirrel in a tree at the next-door neighbor began to make a noise at least as loud as the cats. I was wondering if the squirrel noise was in response to the cats?

            Then, as I continued enjoying the afternoon, with a sip now and then, I was very thankful for the fact that I was able to get some of the items in the back yard, back in their usual location, and also was able to get the back 40 mowed.

            As I sat there enjoying the quiet, now that the cats and squirrels had became silent, I could hear a siren from a fire truck. The siren was coming closer and it stopped on Texas street, one block from our homestead. I could see the lights on top the truck at the corner. That sight and sound caused me to remember and event from the past, as I looked across the street at a fire hydrant. Photo to follow.


            Back in the olden days, when I was a volunteer fireman, there was a fire down the street from the Ford homestead. That night when responding to the fire, I was on the back of the first fire truck arriving at the scene. The truck stopped at the closes fire hydrant (seen in the photo), I pulled the hose off the truck and wrapped it around the hydrant, standing on the end of the hose as the truck drove down the street.

            When the fire truck was far enough away that it would not pull the hose, I then connected the fire hose to the hydrant. And prepared to turn the water on. The fire truck itself had 500 gallons of water in it, so the firemen could begin fighting the fire as the truck engineer prepared to receive water from the hydrant. When the truck engineer was ready, he called me on the radio and I turned the water on responding back to the truck, “Water coming”!

            Fighting the fire was one thing, but the firemen also have to clean up and put everything back in order for the next event. Being a fire man was interesting, but there was also work!

            Now let us get to your first time! Have you thought about your first time? I see that smile on your face, you enjoyed the first time, didn’t you?

            Well, this morning was my first time. Yep, I went out front to get the so-called newspaper, and as I stood there looking up into the sky, thinking that it was perfectly clear, not a cloud anywhere, I began to hear bells. These belles must have been a long way from the house as they were very quiet. The bells sounded like bells one would expect to hear from a church. The Catholic Church is a mile or more from our homestead.

            Anyway, where ever the bells were coming from, it was the first time I had ever heard Church Bells here at the Homestead. Wow, I guess there is a first time for everything!

 

Enjoy the first time!

 

Senior retired person who enjoys most first times, Don the Ford

No comments: