Translate

Monday, June 7, 2021

Bed #3 reviewed 06/07/2021

            I didn't do much yesterday, I did take a hoe and chopped up some of the dirt in the soon to be #3 bed. I decided to secure the 4 x 4s in place using short pieces of rebar. I had to cut a couple pieces of rebar in half, and there were already holes in the wood so I just had to hammer them through the wood into the ground.

            I have a new shovel and I did use it some yesterday, I moved some of the dirt in the #3 bed to the sides against the wood 4 X 4s. A few more days without rain and I will attempt to install the 5 black berries.

            Bad news, when I went out to work on the #3 bed, I noticed the first black berry was gone. Below where it had been located, there was a small hole dug into the dirt as if a squirrel had been there.

            Topic change; most of the bird houses here at the Ford's Homestead are occupied, and we have heard the sounds of babies inside the houses. As I was thinking about these birds, I came up with a couple questions. First, I asked myself, "Do birds nest one time and have the babies one time, or multiple times each year?" I replied to myself, "Heck, I don't know."

            A day or so after asking myself that question, I observed a bird taking pieces of grass into the bird house as if he / she was remodeling the nest. Then I observed via security camera these same two birds engaging in reproduction practices.

            I now assume the birds lay and hatch more than one batch of eggs each year.

            Next, I was considering, do these sparrows stay in the bird house all year. I have seen sparrows go in and out of these houses in the winter. I can understand them getting in one of the houses out of the cold weather in the winter, but are they the ones who used it during summer?

            We have a chance for rain again today, and then we may have up to 5 days without rain.

            There are several things I need to do today such as, get rid of old motor oil, buy some new oil, change the oil in the generator, get my internet / TV bill reduced, dismantle the old wooden table top that I had made, and I need to check the other notes laying on my desk. Too much work for an ole retired senior person. I am now tired from just thinking about all that!

            We have a new summer schedule with the grandkids, we will have them here at the homestead on Wednesday, Thursday, and half a day Friday. My favorite wife may need to alter her weekly grocery store and shopping schedule some.

            I just returned from getting Burritos, got to eat! 😊

Burritos, what a way to start a day!

Senior retired person whose tong is burning from the hot sauce, Don the Ford

No comments: