Translate

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A thought of mine 12.12.18

            I have no reason for how, or why, these wonderful ideas come to me. Possibly I have access to more information than a so-called normal person. I am sure that my brain is more open to accepting new ideas and information than the normal person. Think about it, who would want to be a normal person, would you want to be, only normal? I can assure you, none of my reading public would be considered normal!

            Let us get to the reason for this posting. All these postings give me, a senior retired person something to do! I mean, I feel the need to bring up a word and ask a question about the abbreviation of that word.

            As I was lying on the Ford’s ole bed, sleep avoiding me, or had I just woke up, maybe I was just going to sleep, whatever!  The abbreviation of a word came to mind, and then I thought of the word. Now as we all know, I can’t spell very well, or is it very good. My grammar is at about a third grade level, so I had to carefully consider the word.

            How does one spell, “Ounce”? If you leave the “U” out, we end up with, “Once”. If we add a “B” we get, “Bounce”.  Now I need to get back to my original thought which is, why does the word ounce have an abbreviation of, “oz.”? Even I know, there is no “Z” in ounce. Who the heck came up with the “Z”?

            Let’s move on, “Pound” has an abbreviation of “lb.”, lb has nothing to do with the word pound!

            Now we can consider “Quart”. The abbreviation for quart is, “qt.”, they finally got one right.

            Don’t google them, I don’t want some half way reasonable explanation.

 

It is time for a cup of real coffee, so I need to go now. After the coffee I will come out of hiding and see what the CEO here at the Ford Homestead has for me to do.

 

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

 

Senior Word-ologist; Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: