Translate

Monday, July 30, 2018

Already working before 8:00am 07.30.18

            Today is Monday and I have completed one task prior to 8:00am. My spouse of 49 years has a cement wishing well, which stands about 40 inches tall. Over the years the unit has begun to lean. With all the dry weather, and years of several hundred pounds pushing down the ground has been giving way. The unit is sitting on three round cement blocks.
            First I had to remove the top which weighs about 90 pounds. I brought the Ford’s ole red wagon up to the work area knowing that when I pick this top up, I will only be able to lift it, turn around and place it in the wagon. I did not want to put it on the ground as I probably would not be able to pick it up from ground level. 
            I then needed to move the well which weighs about 150 pounds. Obviously I would not be able to pick this unit up but I was able to move it a little at a time until I had it off the round blocks. I them removed the round blocks from their positions and brought dirt up from the back 40 to begin the leveling process.
            Placing the dirt in the spots where the round blocks were, I packed the dry dirt down as well as I could. When all was fairly level, I replace the round blocks and started the process of moving the main unit back into place. It was easier said than done. I strained, pushing and pulling to get the unit back on the blocks.
            Needless to say, it was more difficult picking up the top and putting it back on, than getting it off.  Photo below.
       
            Is that my finger in the photo? Do not look at the grass as I have not mowed around this lately.
            I did all that before 8:00am. Now I need to get a shower as I have an appointment at 9:15.

Work early and rest later!

Laborer extraordinaire;          Don Ford

No comments: