Translate

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Celebrate the 4th 07.03.18

               We here at the Ford Homestead are prepared to celebrate the upcoming holiday, often known as the 4th, which is in reality, Independence Day.
            For those of you who live in Cape Girardeau, I feel it necessary to explain a little about this holiday. When we refer to Independence Day, we are referring to a day many years ago, when we as a country declared our independence from some foreign country. Independence Day has nothing to do with the street named Independence Street, in the city of Cape Girardeau.
            Why do I need to explain everything?
            Would you believe, my spouse of 49 years went shoplifting, I mean shopping the other day, and she was able to get a water melon without being seen, I mean without paying for it, I mean it was free, what could be better for the holiday. We cut the melon and went outside just about ready to enjoy the free melon, when we saw a police car coming down the street. My present spouse told me to drop the melon. I asked, what? And she said in a forceful voice, drop the melon now! I dropped the melon, and we both waved at the officer as she drove by.   Photo to follow, click to eat, I mean enjoy!

            The melon would have been good if we could have eaten it. Charley the cat licked on the melon, so we did not get to celebrate Independence Street early.
            I guess that will be the end of our celebration, my first wife will be out at the parks on Wednesday picking up aluminum cans. The trash cans in the parks usually have a bunch of cans on holidays. Occasionally, she will find several cans of the same brand, and if they have a little beverage in them, she can combine them all into one container. Would you believe, that will provide us with a free beverage for a meal?

            I doubt that you want to know this, and I am sure you will not feel sorry for those of us who live in the middle part of the Lone Star State. It is supposed to be 102 degrees today, this will be the eighth day in a row of temps from 100 to 104.

            Parts of the above story may be made up. The photo of the melon, if you haven’t already noticed, is of wooden melon slices, created by me. They will probably be placed into some of the flower beds. There wasn’t a cop and there wasn’t any shopping, I mean shoplifting. Darn, some of you will believe anything.


            I hope you have a safe and fun Holiday, fly the flag if you have one. If you don’t have one, get one!

What, you must work on the holiday, be happy you have a job!

Don Ford

Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: