Translate

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Red and Green 07.15.18

            Is red and green only Christmas colors? For those people who never get outside their Homestead, red and green may only be Christmas colors. For those of us who venture out into the real world, walking through the woods and fields, or just sitting on the Ford’s Ole rocker, we experience many wonderful events.

            Yesterday, I had braved the extreme heat, when I made myself a cold drink with lots of ice in it, and then ventured forth leaving the security of the Ford Homestead, choosing to sit on the Ford’s ole rocker. From my vantage point I could see parts of the vast neighborhood, along with the road in front of the Homestead, when a nice looking SUV passed by. I did not recognize the vehicle, nor did I recognize the female driver. Being a gentleman I waved and the female waved back. The vehicle drove on down the road way, returning to the front of the homestead and to my surprise the vehicle pulled into the Ford’s ole drive way.

            A blond, or maybe she had gray hair, (it was white hair) which ever, this female subject, exited the SUV. It took me a moment, then I recognized her, she had lived in the house next to ours more than 20 years ago. We exchanged greetings and then I went inside to get my present spouse. My present spouse had been painting and was not happy that I disturbed her.

            My spouse of 49 years, who also has a birthday on July 16th, came outside to visit. My first wife and this ex-neighbor “Judy”, along with our neighbor from across the street talked for a while. The discussion revolved around kids, grand kids, marriages, and many other family related subjects (bragging rights).

            It was nice to see Judy again, but her unexpected visit had nothing to do with the subject of this posting. In this posting I want to talk about the Colors Red and Green. Let’s see now, how should I start this commentary?

            It was a hot July afternoon, there was very little breeze, and the humidity was very high, making the afternoon, I guess the best word to describe it would be, “sweltering”! There were a few clouds floating lazily overhead, but they did not seem to provide any shade in the unrelenting heat. As I was resting in the shade of the Homesteads main building, I was aware of the presence of a Cardinal. This is not a religious commentary, nor is it a commentary about baseball, this Cardinal was a red bird.

            He, the red bird, was a male of the species, and I know this due to the fact, “the male is much brighter in color, one might say even prettier than a female”.

            This bright red bird stood out very clearly against the green background of the leaves on the neighbor’s tree. I reached for the camera, but it was too late he had moved. This wonderfully wild bird flew from the neighbor’s tree, to one of our trees. This bright red bird jumped from one limb to another as he came closer to where I was setting. Then I was surprised, as he flew from the tree to the bush which is next to me.

            I thought that was very odd, this bird was about four feet away from where I was setting. I slowly leaned forward to get a better look at him and he quickly flew away. At that moment I realized what this bird was doing, or at least what he was going to do. My spouse of 49 years had placed a bright red humming bird feeder, filled with a sweet liquid on the far side of this bush, and that was the exact location where the red bird had landed.

            It seems to me that this red bird has learned from the humming birds, that he can get a refreshing and sweet drink.  Is that evolution, or just a lucky guess on his part?

            Before that one person asks, it is none of your business how I know the liquid was sweet!

            A comment on a different subject, yesterday I wrote about the mocking birds after the cat Molly. Today as I sat here writing the above, I happen to look at the security monitors. I saw our dog Tres playing with something in the back yard. Then I saw the mocking birds buzzing Tres. Yep, one of the baby mocking birds was out of the nest, and Tres was playing with it. I went to the back door and Tres came inside. The baby bird was not injured and the parents got him or her into the flower bed. This flower bed has weeds in it which may help the baby hide. The problem is that Tres has a nose like a blood hound and he can, and will, track the baby. 

 

Get outside more, and you, may also taste the sweet things of life!

 

Don Ford

No comments: