Translate

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Sunrise in Hewitt 07.19.18

            Let me start with the fact, we set a record yesterday, it was 108 in Waco, Texas. I must tell you when I walked outside about 5:00pm, which is supposed to be the happy time of day, it was literally   like, “walking into an oven”. Literally means actually, in effect, virtually, or for that one person, literally means for real. I have been in higher temps in the past, but walking from the air conditioned comfort of the Homestead’s 78 degrees into the summer heat of 108 was really like walking into an oven!

            Enough history; let us consider, “the future”! We now understand the future may hold possible 110 degree temps, a couple days this week, nice! L
            This morning I decided to get a real cup of coffee from the star company, all I have here at the Homestead is instant coffee. I left the homestead just after sunrise, and when I arrived at a traffic light, I took a photo. At first I was impressed with the sun as it was coming up.
  
            Then I began to think about this photo, and it reminded me that the sun will be in line with the traffic lights in just a few minutes. It makes it very difficult to see the traffic lights when the sun is behind the lights. That is bad enough, but I can tell you that it is worse in the afternoon, coming from the other direction.
            Yesterday, there was more evidence that all the flowers here at the Ford’s Homestead, have a female status. See the following photo. How do these flowers survive in this intense heat?

            If you are looking at this photo of those dainty, pink, female orientated blooms, you should also notice the thorns in the back ground. It is understood that the female colored blooms often have those female thorns close by!

May your day be thorn-less!

Botanist:   Don Ford

No comments: