Translate

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Project for a senior person part two 07.24.18

            I have purchased wood to make the top, now I need to see if I am skilled enough to manufacture a wooden top with a 2 inch hole in it. I will attempt to use two aluminum flat bars, 1/8 inch by 1 inch by 44 inches, to help secure the boards together. Yes I will need some screws to fasten the bars to the wood. There will also be a 2 x 4 on the underside of the table top which will also help secure the boards together and will act to keep the table centered in the round metal table frame.
            I also plan to use glue to help secure the boards together. When, or if, the table top is ever completed, we will then decide whether to stain it or paint it. Would it be less expensive to purchase a new top rather than try to make one? Maybe, but what fun would that be!
            I have decided to attempt to make an octagon shaped top rather than a round top. It is easier to cut straight lines than it is to cut curved! What kind of math does one need to take eight boards laying side by side (44 inch by 44inch square) and make that into and octagon having eight equal sides? I kind of thought I would make a square and just cut the corners off but having eight equal sides will require some thought.
            I will need to borrow my belt sander back from the neighbor. I loaned it to him a couple months ago. He is a doctor and one heck of a good wood butcher. He builds some nice furniture!

            The work begins Saturday 21st:
            Having completed the Ford’s NAP, I awoke in a working mood. I jumped from my recliner and headed out into the garage at 1:30pm. It was rather warm in the garage so I enlisted the help of two fans to move the air around.
            I brought my chop saw from the shed and placed it in the shade in the back yard. I ran an extension cord from the house to this saw. I sat up a folding table for my work bench in the garage and gathered some needed tools such as a square, tape measure, and a pencil.
            I then uncovered my table saw and moved it outside on the drive way. It was in the direct sun light but I assumed I was only going to make a couple cuts using this saw.
            I did some measuring and marking the boards, I did follow the rule, “Measure once and cut twice”, or is it, “Measure twice and cut once?” Trust me on this, it was the latter!

            The boards were cut to 44 inch lengths and laid side by side on the table, which made a square. Then I considered how to make this square into an octagon? I went to the smart phone and watched a video showing the proper way of making an octagon. I considered that for a few moments, and thought I would try to follow those instructions which involved measuring, a string and a straight edge.
            I went back to the smart phone to review the instructions again but I found a different video. I watched this person draw a square and mark off three equal distances on each side, then draw a line from the marks at the corners making an octagon. Heck even I could do that.
            I measured and marked and it worked. I then went to the chop saw and cut these boards at 45 degree angles. When I finished cutting I lay them side by side in the proper order and, there was the octagon. I measure each of the eight faces and they were all equal!
                
            Retrieving my clamps from the shed, I was able to clamp only six of the eight boards together. I thought I should go ahead and glue the boards together so I grabbed the wood glue. To my surprise it was bad. I tried to get some glue out of the bottle but clear liquid came out, which should have been white. Possibly the 109 degree temperature had something to do with the glue being bad.
            It was now 5:00pm on Saturday afternoon, the saws, tools and wood were put away. Most of the work for the day had ended. I put some ice in my glass with some diet coke and this adult took his adult beverage to the ole Ford’s Rocker and rested.

Rest after very fatiguing work, is enjoyable for seniors!

Master rester;     Don Ford

          *         *         *         *         *         *

            Sunday the 22nd shopping and work;
            After our usual trip to the food place for brunch (aka Restaurant) we stopped at Wally world to get some glue for the project. I also purchased some screws to attach the aluminum bars to the bottom of the soon to be, table top. Arriving back at the Ford’s Homestead I changed into my work clothes and took a well needed nap!
            Later, after recovering from the well needed nap, I sprang into action and grabbed a snack. I find it interesting that I always want a snack after nap time. Nap and snack over I proceeded to the garage and began work on the project again. I clamped the center boards together and drilled a two inch hole, half on one board and half on the other. I also drilled a 2 inch hole in the 2x4 that goes under the table top.
            I have decided to glue 4 of the boards together, in other words one half glued and then the other half glued.

            In the above photo we see one half, 4 boards, clamped and glued together. The center hole or at least half of it, which is probably the most important part of this project, can be seen. After each half are glued together, I will then match up the center hole and glue the two halves together.
You are right, I am good!

Modest senior person;          Don Ford

No comments: