Translate

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Most ice gone 02/05/2022

            Well, yesterday started out very cold, just as today is doing, colder than a well digger’s shovel. I did get outside and try to get to the truck, but there was ice everywhere. I put a little thought in it, and started the truck without going outside. Then I was thinking, the heater may not have been on full blast, and the defroster wasn’t on. I needed to get inside the truck to set the controls.

            How do I get to the truck with that ice out there? I tried to break the ice up with a shovel, but it was still frozen too hard and too thick. Then I had a thought, I have a wheel chair, I can sit in it, get a cross the ice to the door, I can hold on to the truck and get in with out slipping on the ice. Well, it worked, and just as my behind got to the truck seat, my foot slipped on the ice but I was already on the seat.

            The truck heated up good, and I got the ice off the windshield. I again used the wheel chair to get out of the truck and back to dry cement.

            Later in the day I again addressed the ice with a shovel. This time it was softer and I was able to remove a lot of the ice from around the truck. I was able to move the truck and clear most of the ice from the drive near the garage door.

            I then decided to assault the walk way. I was able to remove the ice from both walkways with some effort on this ole body. It was cold, but not as cold as early morning. Later in the day the sun began to shine. The street here at the homestead was then clear of the ice. The day had gotten much better!

            My wife allowed me to have a cup of coffee, after working outside.

            Yesterday was the second day without a mail delivery. Is the lack of postal delivery due to the weather? There is a saying, “Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.” Did you notice it did not say sleet or ice, so I guess, they don’t have to work in the sleet or ice.

            The rain gage has two inches of water in it. We did have a lot of rain before the sleet started, so the two inches is a combination of rain and sleet. 

            Well, that was yesterday.

 

            Today is colder than yesterday morning, but we have no freezing rain or ice falling. The street is clear and Tres walked down the side walk, where there is no ice, to get the newspaper. The sun is shining already this morning, and that should get rid of the ice that is still on the grass areas.  Heck, we might even get a postal delivery today. We have ordered an item that was shipped via UPS. It was supposed to be here on the 3rd, and every day since, we get different notices.

            I assume we will venture out today, I know my present wife’s vehicle needs gas, so we may take it. I don’t know if she needs to go to any particular store, I guess we can determine that before we leave the homestead.

            The sun is shining and I am getting a cup of coffee, what could be better?

Sun shine and coffee, good!

            Senior napper at the Ford’s Homestead, Don the Ford

No comments: