Translate

Friday, October 2, 2020

All Heck broke lose 10/02/2020

            Did you notice how I used the word Heck rather than Hell? One never knows who may read this posting, and I do not want to upset any one, so Heck is the word.

            Let’s see, how should I start. It was a cool morning here at the homestead… Nope, that is not a good start!

            Ok, I have another start; The CEO here at the Ford’s homestead (my favorite wife) came to me and said, “I will allow you to repair the toilet today!” She was so nice, allowing me to have something to do other than enjoy life. I reviewed the Ford’s ole toilet to see what I need for the repair, then I went through all my extra plumbing parts, hoping I had what I would need.

            Not finding what I need, I went to the hardware store and purchased said parts, to the tune of $18.00. Returning to the homestead, I decided to remove the flush lever, which was the main problem, as it would not automatically shut off the flow of water into the tank if one did not move the lever to the off position.

            I used the wrench in an attempt to undue the nut securing the flush valve to the tank. It did not unscrew as expected.         Photo to follow!


                                               

            The tank broke, now someone will need to replace the entire toilet. After I stopped crying, I ate lunch. When my belly was full, I tried to get a short nap but I was so upset I could not sleep. I jumped out of the ole chair and headed to the Home store to get a new toilet.

            I found a toilet, which I could not afford, and I tried to get if from the shelf onto the cart. This ole body almost could not pick up the box. I did finally get it onto the cart and purchased it using a piece of plastic.

            I pushed the cart out to the truck, and was almost unable to get it off the cart into the bed of the truck. This carton weighed close to 100 pounds and no one offered to help a senior person.

            Arriving at home, I went to the shed and procured my 2 / 4-wheel cart. I was able to drag the carton out of the bed of the truck onto the cart, moving it into the garage.

            I then decided to remove the ole toilet. Undoing the water line was the easiest part of this removal. One of the tank bolts would not undue. I decided to undo the bowl from the floor, neither bolt would unscrew, they were rusted. I had to use a hack saw to cut those two bolts. That is not easy for an ole senior person, on the floor, in a tight setting. I then used the hack saw to cut the bolt between the bowl and tank.

            I removed the tank from the house via the two-wheeler, then the bowl also using the two-wheeler.

            I then decided to call for help. I was surprised to learn that my son David was at his home and not at work, he came over. The two of us working together, were able to install the new toilet. Even with the two of us, it was not easy work. It looks good and did not leak!

            Without help, it would have been almost impossible for this ole senior person to have installed, the toilet yesterday afternoon. It would have taken me two or three times longer to get it installed. I know how to do it, my ole body doesn’t bend and move like it use to.

            Thanks to David for all the help!

         I will review all work again today, double checking for leaks.

 

            While walking this morning, a thought came to me about not being judgmental. I was mentally commenting to myself on the yards of others. I thought of a statement, “Judge not lest ye be judged"!

 

Judge not, but use good judgement!

                        Think about that statement for a moment.

 

Senior non flexible person with some sore muscles, Don the Ford

 

           

No comments: