Translate

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Snow and sleds 12/29/2020

            You are correct, that is an odd title for this part of Texas. The prognosticators were saying there is a very slight chance of snow flurries along with rain, later this week. Even if there are snow flurries, there would be no accumulation.

            The snow possibility caused me to consider sliding down hills on sleds. All the TV commercials have been showing kids on those plastic disks sliding down hills and they have no control. Those disks go downhill, but the occupant may be facing any direction. Maybe that is what makes them fun, or maybe it is the fact that they are an inexpensive piece of plastic.

            At one time I was a boy child and I had a sled, this is back in Missouri where it did snow. Myself and all the other kids would take our sleds and head for a field with a hill in it. We would all try sledding down the hill, and if it worked that is good. If the snow was too deep, we would all get together and walk up and down the hill packing the snow. When we had the snow packed, we were ready to go.

            As a kid I never once thought of the fact that I was going head first down a hill and at a fairly high rate of speed. If you hit a tree, a log or rock, you would hit it head first. Other than someone on a sled running into someone on foot, I don’t remember any injuries.

            Now let’s consider something dangerous. In the olden days, when we lived on a hill out in the country, my brother Jack took a piece of tin roofing and bent one end of it up. He put a rope in the bent part and that was the front. We used that piece of tin roofing as a sled. Tell me that was a safe ride!

            I do have a sled in the Ford’s ole shed. It has been used once or maybe twice since we have lived here, and that is almost 42 years. I looked at it one day and the wood on it looked to be in poor condition. Enough about snow and sleds.

            I have an appointment at the dentists this morning. I would rather not go. Heck, I have even brushed my teeth for this visit. Who knows were their hands have been, and they will be putting them in my mouth? The only good thing I can see about going, I can go to the star coffee place after the visit. Would you believe, hot coffee from the star coffee place will disinfect your mouth. Wow, a positive for the ole Ford!

            Subject change; I have found a use for some of the leaves I have bagged up. I will attempt to place some of them around the black berries. That should help keep the ground moist.

 

As the end nears, drink don’t drive

Senior ole person, who has a bottle, and will stay home as it ends, Don the Ford   

No comments: