Translate

Saturday, August 8, 2020

Finally, a day of rest 08.08.2020

            In this day of rest, my neighbors are out mowing their yards. Maybe that is their way of resting. Why do they wait until Saturday to mow? The one neighbor has an electric mower, and he is making little or no noise, while the neighbor across the street is using a gas power mower, waking all the neighbors up with her motor noise.

            Now we get to another subject, male and females.

            On the so-called TV news this morning, they were talking about equal pay for equal work. I am in agreement with the comment, “Equal pay for equal work”, but it seldom exists.

            The TV reported, “Even though there is a law stating equal pay for equal work, females often get paid less than males, and races other than white sometimes get paid less than whites.

            Personally, I have hired hundreds of people during my years at work. I never cared whether a person was male or female and I did not care what race they were. I did want to know if they could do the work we had.

            Let me get back to the main topic of this article, Equal pay for equal work. As I had stated earlier, I am in favor of equal pay for equal work, but it seldom happens. Let’s consider a job where people are expected to do the same work for 8 hours.

            For this exercise we will consider a business that sells and installs car tires. Let’s say there are ten people who install the tires. During the 8-hour day, one employee removes, changes and installs tires on 20 vehicles. Each of the other employees remove, change, and install tires on 15 or less vehicles each.

            All ten employees are paid hourly, and all get, “Equal pay”, but, “They did not do equal work”! I know what you are thinking and you are right (for the first time). They could pay these employees based on their output, one employee does more work she gets more pay, the other employee does less work, he gets less. 

            In a work environment where there are few employees one could pay based on output. One problem with output pay is, if the work load slacked off these employees would get less pay. Then the employer might lose good employees, or they would need a base pay for all employees and additional pay for the amount of work performed.

            If the work place had a thousand employees and they all received a base pay plus pay for their output, the problem would be unrest from some employees and then you get a union.

            In a couple of the highest paying jobs here in the united states, they do not hire female employees, and no one cares! That can’t be fair, but no one cares!

            Allow me to change the subject. In my bible at the beginning of each book in the old testament they describe what is going on in the book and the approximant dates of the writing. In the book of Amos, it stated that the name Amos means, “A burden”.

            Why do I bring this up, one might ask, if they were at all interested in my writings? Well allow me to share my thought on this name, “Amos”. I had a brother named Amos and when I read the meaning of the name I wondered, did my parents have any idea of the meaning, when they named him, as they were both religious and read the bible daily.

            Amos was their first son, and I am sure he was not a burden! Now I was their last son, I snuck in 7 years after my brother Jack. I am fairly sure I was an accident, and at times I was definitely a burden!         7 years after my brother Jack and I was the 7th child.

            My brother Jacks name was actually, “Jackie”. My mother told me when he was born, they had not selected a name for him, so they put names in a hat. My sister Wilda, put the name “Jackie” in the hat, and that is the name they drew out. They did not change it to Jack, instead they left it as Jackie.

 

            I know that at least one of you is wondering, what the high paying jobs are, that do not employee females, and you, along with everyone else, don’t care. Football and base ball pay crazy amounts of money and they don’t hire females. 

 

May you earn what you are worth!

                        Not what you think you are worth, but what you are worth!

 

Senior worthless 7th son, and bible reader, Don the Ford

No comments: