Translate

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Design and then build 11.08.18

            As many of you have commented, the first photo of the wood butcher project was interesting. Let us review this project.
            First the idea was presented by the CEO, “Ms. Ford”, to me, “The senior Design artists and Wood Butcher”, here at the Ford Homestead. This project was to, “Expand one of the many storage areas”, here at the Homestead.
            I measured each and every part of the existing storage area in an effort to provide the needed details for my attempt at designing the addition to the storage area. Obviously, the addition would need to not only match the existing unit in color, but also fit snugly in place providing a safe storage area for these wonderful collectables.
            I then went to work preparing the plans for the project. I put in many hours at the drawing table, first making rough drawings, then re-drawing the CEOs idea of the project, until I finally received an approval! I have scanned the final art work in for your review, click to enjoy.
 
                                  
             Once the final drawings had been approved, I then began working on, “The Bill of Materials”. I listed everything I would need to complete the project, including the wood, screws and paint. Fortunately, I had various screws here at the homestead, our CEO had the paint and application utensils (aka paint brushes). All I needed to do was purchase the lumber for this project, haul it home, and unload it in the ole garage.

            All this accomplished I was ready to start the project. The first thing I needed to do was locate a saw. There is a table saw in the ole garage, but I would have needed to move several items to get to it. These items have not yet made it back into the Homestead after the remodel.
            I decided to get my saw from the shed. I had to move a lawnmower to get to it but that wasn’t too bad. This saw is on wheels so I pulled it to the drive way where I sat it up.
            Remembering the ole wood butcher rule, “cut twice measure once”, I began. I measured using the info from the very accurate drawing and cut one piece. Setting that piece aside I measured and cut the next piece. This work was exhausting and finally I had all four pieces cut.
            Being very careful and wanting to be sure I still had the CEOs approval, I took all four pieces of wood into the house. I placed each piece where they would be located when the project was complete.
            FAILURE: I was completely surprised, one piece was 1.5 inches too long. With tears in my eyes I returned to the drawings to see how this error could have happened. I had cut said board to fit inside the existing storage area, not allowing for the two additional boards that were .75 inch each (.75 + .75 = 1.5).
            I felt as if I should go sit in the corner with a dunce hat on after making such and error.
            Regaining my composure I went to the shed and brought the saw out again as I needed to make one more cut. Disgraced I was hoping no one would see me correcting this error.
            The next day I decided to attempt to put the project together. This part of the project went as expected. I even puttied the screw holes so they would not be visible after painting.
                                                           
   
            The CEO came out and reviewed the work. It was decided that the top might be better if there was a safety edge to keep items from slipping off. I had some quarter round stored in the shed so I procured it. I then needed to do some miter cuts so I dragged an ole miter box and saw out of storage and used it on this project.
            Obviously, the quarter round would need to be attached to the top of the unit, I decided to use glue. I retrieved several clamps from the Ford’s ole shed.  Click to learn more.

                                              
            Being successful at the gluing portion of the project, I then applied a coat of paint. Our CEO had decided that it would need many coats of paint, which I was willing to apply. In the photo below we see the project hopefully completed. I say hopefully because the CEO has not yet reviewed the final painting, as she is making Hot Tamales today.

                                              
            I did get to do some taste testing and I think she has a winner with these tamales!

May your projects not be as demanding!

Senior wood butcher; Don Ford

Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: