Translate

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Procedural text 03.27.18

            The title of this almost professional article has caught my attention. You, being an intelligent person, probably understand what procedural text means. I was practicing my usual morning ritual, the other morning, you know, sitting in the recliner with a cup of instant coffee watching the so-called news, when I became aware of, “Procedural Text”.
            The so called news was in a school class room were the kids were putting together something known as the scribbler. It is not important what the scribbler is, but I will try to splain it somewhat. The kids were using cardboard and paper things taped together with a little motor and one of the legs was a marker. The motor had a close pen attached which shook the entire device when the motor was turned on, causing the marker to scribble. 
            The description of the project has nothing to do with my opinion, I like the idea of kids learning, but the words “Procedural Text” does. Procedural text means the same as instructions. Why can’t we just use words that the parents and especially the grandparents understand? Procedural text would mean text that explains how one should proceed.
            It’s kind of like the new math. The kid’s math problem can be solved with the math I learned as a children, but the school wants the kid to go through all kinds of dumb processes (my opinion) to get to the same answer a senior citizen would with general math.

Now let’s get to something like a puzzle. In the following photo of tree limbs and branches, I see the outline of a cat face. After some review, the outline could be of a pig face. You will likely need to enlarge the photo to see, “Natures Art”!


In my next posting I will present an enlargement of the area with, “Natures Art”.

            When I sit on the Fords old rocker in the afternoon I see and hear many things.


Procedural Text available upon request!

Don Ford

No comments: