Translate

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Fan it or not 03.08.18

               A friend called saying, he knew that many of the schools were on spring break and that he and other bikers (not the mean type biker) were going for a ride. He knew I took and picked up the grand kids at school, which kept me from riding during the week. Since school was out, he thought he would see if I wanted to ride on Wednesday.

               I checked with the CEO here at the Ford Homestead and she said, if I were to get all my Honey Dues done, I could go. Darn it, there was a lot of work that needed to be done. Tuesday morning I jumped out of bed, and staggered into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. After a couple cups of coffee I attacked the job I had been trying to not do. History to follow.

               About 39 years ago we moved into this house, one of the things I did was to install ceiling fans in most rooms. Well after almost 4 decades, the fan in the master bed room gave up. My spouse insisted it be replaced. I was reluctant to address this project, but later was forced, I mean persuaded, to purchase a new fan. I had to put it up if I wanted to go riding. (How unfair it is to force a senior citizen to work).

               It had been a long time since I had installed a ceiling fan, and I could not remember all the process. I opened the box and was happily surprised. The instructions was easy enough that even I could do it. Now it did take several hours, including removing the old fan, and installing the new fan.

               That job completed, I took a well-deserved nap. Following the nap, I helped my wife install some lighting around the flower beds.

               That work completed, I got the bike out and washed it. After drying the bike I checked the air in the tires an added a little. I checked the oil and added some. I put the bike back in the garage and grabbed my coat. It did not have a lining in it, so I reinstalled the insulated lining. I found my heavy gloves and coffee cup that I use on the bike. Yes, Wednesday of this week will be the coolest day of the week and naturally we go riding.

               I am writing this on Tuesday and I am tired, as I had worked in the yard, on my hands and knees, for many hours on Monday. This poor body needs its rest!

Work not lest ye be tired!

Don Ford

            Wednesday March 7th, 2018, story continued:

                    I left the Homestead this morning at a few minutes after 8:00am, it was a cool start to the day with temps in the mid to upper 30s. I rode the wing to the meeting location where I was greeted by three other bikers. Everyone topped off their tank and we prepared to leave at 8:30 sharp. One rider who said he was coming did not show. We called him later to discover the reason for his absence and he stated, “It was too cold”! 

                    Our ride begin with us being on I-35. We did not want to ride through all the road work in Temple so we took the loop. From that point on we were on good riding roads, you know, not a lot of traffic.

                    There were three Gold Wings and one Harley. That proves that wing nuts are not prejudice against the Harley riders. We arrived at the Blue Bonnet café about 11:05, with about 125 miles under our belts. As luck would have it, we beat the crowd and were seated immediately. The food was good and the chitchat was enjoyable. Two of us had pie, and if you know anything about the Blue Bonnet, you know they have good pie.

                    After the noon repast, we again mounted the bikes and continued our ride on many back roads. The ride went well, the temp rose to 62 degrees by the end of the ride, and I arrived home about 4:00pm. My bike now has an additional 314 miles on it. I would say I am as tired from riding as I have been from the forced labor here at the Homestead. Put me in my bed, please!

 

                    Thanks

No comments: