Translate

Monday, October 7, 2019

Flag 10/07/2019

            After I took my morning pull, I refer to it as a pull and not a walk due to Tres pulling on the lead. In truth, he pulls mostly during the first few minutes of the walk, and then he lets up. Anyway, the pull / walk completed, I was sitting on the Ford’s kind of new swing contemplating world issues. The wind was blowing fairly hard, and temperature was at 63 degrees. Wow, a cool morning for a change. The cup of real coffee was much appreciated!

            For some reason, I thought of the American Flag and how it could be blowing in this breezy weather, although it was more than an hour before sunrise. I then harkened back to a time over half a century ago when I was stationed at Fort Lewis Washington. I believe I was in basic training at this time. It was close to the end of the day when the drill Sargent had everyone fallout from the barrack’s and form into platoons. They then marched our company to an area where the American Flag was flying.

            Once our company was formed facing the flag, the order was, “Stand at ease”. There was four soldiers, not from our company, standing near the flag pole. These soldiers would bring the flag down at the appropriate time.

            Our company was called to attention! The order to, present arms was given! They began to lower the flag. As the flag was lowered I felt very proud to be an American, and in the military.

            All that said there was something else that happened during that flag lowering. There was a busy road that passed by the flag pole and as the flag was being lowered, cars stopped on the road, military personnel got out of their vehicles. Standing beside their vehicles on the roadway they saluted the Flag.

            That is one of the old memories that I want to keep remembering.

 

            Different focus:

            Yesterday (Sunday) after returning from brunch, my spouse open the front door and discovered a box laying on the porch. She immediately brought it to me as she was concerned that it might be a bomb, I mean she thought it might be my new DVR. I quickly opened it and yes we have received the new DVR. I promptly took my after brunch nap, and then installed the new DVR.

            I can now sit here and see what’s happening outside. I am happy again. I had replaced 5 cameras when I installed the new DVR. There are three that should be replaced as the color is not good on them and one has reduced night vision.

            We did not get any rain from the cold front that came through but the cooler air is nice. I feel as if I need to inform you, the reading public, that my spouse of 5 decades had a hooded sweat shirt on as she sat outside this morning. She is totally acclimated to the Texas weather.

            Texans, and naturalized Texans, are allowed to complain about how hot it is, and the first day it cools off, complain about how cold it is.

Honor the flag and those who protect it!

 

Sargent Ford reporting for pay sir: Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: