Translate

Monday, October 14, 2019

Is it theft 10/14/2019

            If you find a pecan in the street that fell from a neighbor’s tree, is it theft to pick it up and keep it for your own consumption. What if you are a retired person on a fixed income and picking up that pecan might mean the difference between going to bed hungry or having something, even though it is small, to eat?

            Tres had asked if we could go for a walk. I, being very tired did not want to participate in any form of an exercise program, but knowing that the Tres needed to pee, I mean urinate on a few mail boxes, I decided it would be best to give in. We walked up the street, reaching the top we turned and headed down the street. We always try to walk on the side of the street so we would be facing traffic, if there were any traffic.

            Walking on the same side of the street comes with one particular problem for the senior people. As anyone who is the least bit observant knows, streets are convex in nature. For that one person, convex is the opposite of concave. Being convex helps remove water from the street when, or if it rains.

            I remember being in a science class and the teacher was talking about a magnifying glass he had and that the glass was convex. He then explained the difference between convex and concave, and that is how I learned the difference.

            You explain something to me and I will likely remember it. Things I read do not go into my memory bank. Yep, I can read, but I don’t learn by reading.

            The street being convex means that your feet and ankles are slightly leaning. This is not a problem for the occasional stroll, but if you do it regularly it can affect feet and ankles. Consider occasionally walking on the other side of the street if it is safe.

            As the Tres and I walked under the neighbors pecan trees, we observed many smashed pecans along with a few that were still whole. Tres suggested I pick up some of the whole pecans, which I did. We continued on down the street where we found several more pecans, from the same neighbor’s tree, we also picked them up. It rained the other day and the rain water washed these pecans down the street depositing them in a couple locations.

            Returning to the Ford Homestead, I had a pocket full of pecans. I am glad I was able to convince the Tres to go for a walk.

            If they didn’t want others to pick up the pecans, they should pick them up!

 

 

Didn’t have to go to bed hungry!

 

Senior pecan snatcher; Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: