Translate

Friday, October 25, 2019

Equality 10/25/2019

            What does that word mean? Equality is a noun and basically refers to being equal. You may use the word in different ways such as, equal in weight, equal in knowledge, equal abilities, equal opportunities, the word may be used in many ways, but are those various uses valid?

            Other than equal in weight and equal in size, what else is truly equal?

            Who do you know that is equal in knowledge to you, not more not less but equal?

            Who do you know that has equal abilities to you, not more not less but equal?

            Who do you know that had equal opportunities to you, not more not less but equal?

 

            This morning as I was transporting my favorite granddaughter to school, I noted that I was attempting to comment on the word equality / equal on my blog. I commented that I thought that equal applied to weight and size but not anything else. We both contemplated that for a moment, then the idea of equal pay came up.

            Equal pay sounds like something that might fit into the classification of being equal, but is it. Consider for a moment where you work or have worked. Did you get equal pay? The answer to that question is, in my opinion NOPE! Think for a moment, did you receive the same hourly pay as another person, or was your salary the same as another person?

            The answers might be yes we received the same pay. Receiving the same pay, is not equal pay! Did you do exactly the same amount of work the other person did? Did either of you make an error that the other person did not make? Did either of you take a minute longer or less to get to work after lunch? Did either of you go to the restroom more often than the other person?

            If you did anything different from what the other person did, then you did not receive equal pay! You received the same pay but not equal!

            If you are the quickest worker with the best error rate and you receive the same pay as the slowest worker with the highest error rate, then in my opinion you did not receive equal pay.

Allow me to adjust the subject please.

            I have learned that I have been wrong for the first time, again. I have often said, thinking I was quoting from the bible, “Judge not lest ye be judged”! It is difficult for me to state as a fact that I was misquoting the statement.

            You may be wondering what caused me to even consider this statement. The thought came to mind as I was communicating with the spiritual world, also known as, sitting in the Ford’s ole rocker with an adult beverage in hand. I had the radio on and there was something that was called the news. This so called news presented its information and I immediately had a derogatory comment pop into my head. Yep I was judging.

            In truth, the saying, “Judge not lest ye be judged”, came to mind. I then thought, yes I was judging, and possibly I should not. Then I began to think about the statement that I thought was a direct quote from the bible.

                                                “Judge not lest ye be judged”!

            I then thought, if one believes in the bible, they then believe that they will be judged, whether they judge others or not, they will be judged. If we are going to be judged, then why not judge others? Is there another meaning from that quote that I am not understanding?

 

            If one goes to Mathew 7:1 in the King James Version of the bible the actual statement is;

                                                “Judge not that ye be not judged”!

            Yes it basically says the same thing, using slightly different wording.

            Possibly it means be nice to others, don’t consider yourself better than others, accept that there are differences in people and personalities, accept others as you would like to be accepted. 

 

                                                “Judge not that ye be not judged”!

 

You will be happier when you are not Judgmental!

 

Senior minister at the Ford Homestead; Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: