Translate

Monday, October 28, 2019

Pecans 10/28/2019

            Before I get into this soon to be professionally written article about pecans, I would like to comment on a different subject.
            My Grandson Alex took his father David, on a camping trip this past Saturday night. I inquired as to how the camping trip progressed, and I was told, “It was cold sleeping that night but Alex had a great time.” It was a scout camping night and it was said, everyone had a good time.
            Now to the subject at hand, my spouse of half a century and I have been picking up pecans as they fall from the trees. Notice I said trees, meaning the two trees here at the ford homestead and the trees of our neighbor. Our neighbor’s trees hang out over the street, and even though the vehicles do crush many of the cons, there are still those that are still whole. I do pick up those from the street, but I don’t go into the neighbor’s yard. Photo to follow, click on photo to enhance.
                                               
            The larger con in the middle is from our soft shell pecan tree. The other two cons are from either the neighbor’s tree, or the tree in our back yard. We believe the tree in our back yard was planted by a squirrel, we did not plant it. This is the first year that this tree has had any pecans.   
            We have collected several gallons of cons, still in their shells, and hope to get more in the next couple days.
            Have you ever taken a couple pecans from the ground and cracked them in your hand? Those fresh pecans do taste good. Have you considered how dirty your hands and fingers are, and the pecans are not clean, yet you still eat them. A little dirt must be good for us!

Have a safe and productive week!
Senior con collector; Don Ford

Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: