Translate

Monday, April 13, 2020

Where I lived 04/13/2020

            Before we get into this very uninteresting article, I would like to be allowed to comment. My comment has to do with this Easter Sunday. This is the first Easter since Donna and I have had kids, that we did not have all the family here for a visit and meal. Normally on Easter Sunday, in the afternoon when the family would head for home, we would get visits from neighbors. None of that happened. Sunday was a lonely day for my favorite wife and me! 

            Now, back to the “un” interesting article: 

            I have a screen shot from the satellite, it is of the area where we lived 70 years ago. This is in south Cape Girardeau, Mo, the area was known as Smelter Ville. Evidently there had been a smelter in the area at one time, thus the name. There are no houses there anymore, as this area is often flooded by the Mississippi river. There was a packing house where they killed and butchered cattle and other animals. When the wind was from the right direction, the area smelled. Many people thought the areas name was Smeller Ville. The packing house was located on the bank of a creek that went into the Mississippi. Do you think they dumped the waste into the river?

            In the above photo I have a few numbers to indicate certain locations and what use to be there. 1 is where my family lived when I was a little person. There was a railroad that ran past our house, my parents told me I had to be 5 years old before I could go up on the railroad. 2 was where the Pentecostal church was located. 3 my sister and her family had a house there. 4 there was a grocery store located there, the name I believe was Lane’s. 5 was another store and it was Ratliff’s store.            

            There was a BBQ place located on Sprigg Street in Smelter Ville, which was known as, “The Blue Hole”. It was one of the best BBQ places around. It got the name Blue Hole due to the cement plant, which had removed the lime stone leaving a deep hole, which was filled with water, and the water appeared to be clear and blue, thus the name, Blue Hole.

Just some old memories of mine!

Senior workaholic and old memory person, Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: