Translate

Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thursday morning 11/28/2019

            Thursday morning, the clock chimed 3:00am, as I lay there in the bed my thoughts focused on the coming day, it is Thanksgiving. Donna made the pies yesterday, and has been cooking the turkey during the night. This morning she will be baking the bread and getting ready to cook other delicious items.

            As I lay there all comfortable I heard Charlie the cat meow. I thought, it is too early for that cat to want to eat or go outside. I heard one more meow and then Charlie jumped on the bed and quickly found a place to lay in between Donna and me.

            There was no doubt in my mind that Tres was going to come to the bed to see where Charlie was. It wasn’t even a minute before Tres was nudging me with his nose. I assume he was wanting to be sure I was not petting the cat. I rubbed his head for a few seconds before he walked away. I then positioned my legs over to the side of the bed, as I knew the Tres would go to Donna’s side of the bed and jump up on the bed. Moving my legs gives Tres a place to lay.

            I was correct, Tres jumped on the bed, checked where Charlie was, and then he lay down with his head on my legs. Tres usually stays on the bed for a short time, and then gets off, but this time he seemed to be happy to stay for what seem to be an hour.

            As we all lay there in the crowded bed, I could hear Charlie Purring, which brought an old thought to mind. Many years ago, and by that I mean probably 68 years ago, our family lived in a three room house in the country. In this memory I assume I was 4 or 5 years old. My mother was ironing clothes the ironing board was next to the bed, and I was on the bed were I was supposed to take a nap. Our cat jumped on the bed, (no I do not remember the cat’s name) and it began to purr. I told mom the cat was purring, and she said, “He is singing you to sleep”. I assume it worked because that is the end of that memory.

            Why would an old senior retired person still have a memory like that, imbedded in his brain, or if not in a brain, at least imbedded in my head?  

 

            The thanksgiving schedule:

            The family will arrive prior to noon, as we try and eat the Thanksgiving meal at or about noon. Everyone will eat more than they should, and there will be some interesting conversations during the meal.

            I am usually one of the first to stop eating and I head for the kitchen sink. I get my plate and utensils ready for the dish washer, and then as others family member will bring their plates to the sink so I get them ready also.

            We sit around for a while allowing the food to settle, and then someone will get a piece of pie, which usually gets the attention of others. The pies are good!

            The family usually head for home around 4:00pm.

            Shortly after the family leaves and everything is quiet, an old senior person such as me, would get onto the ole recliner. As you might think, a nap would be in my mind.

            Just as I am relaxing, that is when friends arrive, and the eating process begins again. We enjoy having the friends over and there is a lot of good conversation.

            At some point my first wife and I are left alone here at the homestead.

 

May your Thanksgiving be as good as ours!

 

Senior person thankful for family and friends; Don Ford 

           

No comments: