Translate

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Distracting a driver 11/05/2019

            As I again approach this subject I have taken a slightly different approach. I had delivered Gabi to school yesterday, and was heading for home when I was stopped at my less than favorite traffic light. I was the lead vehicle in the left turn lane, and there was a female subject in the lead vehicle in the right turn / through lane, the light was red.

            As I checked my surroundings I noticed the female subject in the vehicle to my right, had her cellular device in her hands. I could tell by the movements of her thumbs, she was texting.

            I looked away checking the traffic moving through the intersection as I thought, how distracted this female driver was. I again looked at her and she was removing her sun glasses, I assume to see better what was on the cellular device screen. I wonder if these people even know how to make a phone call. Do Texters even have the ability to communicate verbally?

            A verb in a sentence often shows movement, and yes there are other definitions of verb, so if a verb shows movement what does verbally show? Maybe some educated person can help me understand verbally.

            As I looked away from the female texter, I observed the green arrow was lit indicating I should go through the intersection and make my left turn. How long had the light been green? Now you see, these distracted drivers are distracting us non-texting drivers! If anyone was to have an accident it would possibly be the driver that was being distracted by the Texters. If that were the case who would be at fault?

            Too much to consider, I need either a cup of coffee or a nap, maybe both. I have been awake more than 5 hours, do I need one or both.

 

            I had completed my visit to the doctor and had returned home. It was a warm afternoon and I was outside sitting on the Ford’s ole swing with a cup of coffee and a few cookies. It was nice and relaxing as I enjoyed the sweet taste of the cookies along with the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. Claire (Alex’s mom) and Alex arrived at our home to pick up Gabi. Donna picks Gabi up after school but she had not arrived yet.

            I then received a call from my spouse of 50 years saying my van will not start. That did not make my day better. I knew that she was in an area where there was a huge amount of vehicles, all wanting to get their kid or grandkid from school. We got in our vehicle and headed that way the traffic was bad on the way there and worst once on the school property.

            I worked my way as close to her van as possible, where I parked the pickup and walked the rest of the way. I asked her to try to start it. I heard a faint click, the battery was dead. I then opened the hood and connected our Halo and asked her to start the vehicle. It started first try. Several of the adults, possibly school teacher had to see what I used to start the van. They were amazed that something that small would start a car. I probably sold a few of those units with the starting of the Ford’s ole van.  

            If that wasn’t bad enough, things got even more irritating. I decided to take the van to the Wally world to get a new battery. I arrived and there was a couple people working in the garage area. Someone told me to park the van. Then a fellow who acted as if he had no idea what to do came and got my key, name and phone number. That took several minutes.

            There was three vehicles ahead of me. The fellow who seemed to be in charge told one of the workers to leave. The worker said he was not done with the car, the fellow in charge said, I said leave, and the fellow left.

            About 5 minutes later, two other workers arrived, and one finished the work the other worker had left. It was about another 30 minutes when they pulled my van into the garage. They opened the hood and then the fellow walked in to get a new battery. They did not have a battery like the one in my vehicle. All that time was wasted.

            I didn’t even comment on the unfriendly and possibly not trained female who was working the counter in that area.

            The time at the store allowed me to see, that it is difficult to get good, knowledgeable, and friendly employees, or the person doing the hiring don’t know what they are doing!

            I drove the van home and will attempt to get the battery replaced this morning.

 

Work areas should at least seem organized!

 

Senior critic of all work forces; Don Ford

 

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: