Translate

Monday, January 21, 2019

Computer Know it all 01.21.19

            This past Saturday I received instructions as to a couple operations on the Ford’s ole computer. At the time, I believed I understood the instructions provided. The next day, Sunday for that one reader who doesn’t know the days of the week, I attempted to use the new information. Notice I did say attempted to use. Nothing seemed to work, and that is when I began to change settings, attempting to make things happen.

            Trust me, things happened. I worked on the computer for a couple hours with little improvement. At one point the task bar disappeared. How could I do anything without a task bar? I went to the one thing I knew might help, “Ctrl Alt Delete”. The computer was supposed to be shutting down, the screen went dark, but the computer was still running, possibly in some type of crazy loop. I put my finger on the power button and held it until everything stopped.

            I stopped crying and wipe the tears from my eyes. After a couple minutes I pushed the power button again. The computer came to life and I again had a task bar. I regrouped, and focused on my instructions from Saturday. It was as if the fog cleared from my mind. I found the correct boxes to check, I selected the right settings, and things were now working.  

            What was I trying to do that was so difficult that I needed a professional to teach me? I wanted to scan some items into the computer. Yes I knew how to scan, but I learned that my way of scanning was not the best and not most efficient way. I also wanted to be able to put text on the scanned items, I now know how to do that.

            My TV here in the office is connected to my computer, which allows me to have a view that is twice as large as the computer monitor. I have known that so that was not new. I also learned that I can have one program running on the computer and a different program showing / running on the TV, all at the same time. I can use one mouse moving the cursor from the computer screen to the TV screen and back. It is as if the two screens are one, joined at the hip, so to speak.

            Who was my professional teacher, my son Patrick! Thanks Pete!

 

            Did you see the moon last evening, it was very large. It is not unusual to see a large moon as it come up but this morning when Tres went out to get the morning paper, I looked up at the moon and it was still very large and bright. There was an eclipse last night but it was too cold for me to be outside watching.

 

May you remember all instructions!

 

Computer know it all; Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: