Translate

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Liquor for all 02.12.19

               It is amazing how this senior intellectual‘s brain works, but you already know this. As I was lying in bed, many thoughts came to me. One of those thoughts was, “I am sleepy”, while another thought was, “I need to go…”, and those were just a few thoughts that flew through this seniors amazing thought process.

               One of those thoughts was words ending in “ish”, such as childish, meaning childlike, or reddish, meaning not red, but kind of like red. I guess adding the suffix, “ish” or “dish”, was easier than completing a sentence.

                                                            His shirt was reddish.

                              His shirt was a color that looked a little like red but it was actually pink.

               Now what got me considering this suffix? If you had some imagination, and if you had read the title line, you might be able to understand what started this process.

            How did they come up with, “Liquorish” for a name of a candy. When they created the candy was it supposed to taste like liquor? Did you know the British spelling is, “Liquorice”, and another American spelling is Licorice? Those last two spellings both end with, “Rice”, maybe the candy is made from rice.

            Being from Missouri, I have always pronounced the word liquorish correctly. As they say in Missouri, “You got a show me” and I am showing you.

            When we were kids, many adults chewed or dipped tobacco. Those who chewed or dipped had to spit occasionally. Kids could take a bite of liquorish candy and then spit a nasty blackish slobber, looking somewhat like the adults who chewed tobacco.

            This has nothing to do with the above topic, but I just remember a person I called Grandma Hog. She was an old lady who lived with my uncle Jake and his wife and she smoked a pipe. I would sit on her lap and if her pipe went out she let me strike a match and relight her pipe.

            The rain has stopped and the sun is shining today, our temperature is supposed to be normal for this time of year, about 60 degrees. It will not be long before we will be able to work in the yard without sweat shirts on. For at least a couple days we will be saying it is so nice that spring has sprung, then we will start complaining about how hot it is. Never satisfied!

            I have spent about an hour this morning trying to get a bill corrected. The insurance people say I owe a $15.00 co pay. When I went in to the eye test, they said, you aren’t seeing a doctor so you don’t have to pay a co pay. The next week when I went in and seen the doctor I did pay a co pay. Later they sent a bill saying I owe the $15.00 co pay. I have talked to several people and they say I owe the co pay.

            Later I went back to the doctor’s office and the lady said I do not owe the co pay. I called the insurance people again and they say I do. They tell me the people at the doctor’s office don’t know when there should be a co pay or not.

            All in all I have spent several hours on the phone and on hold, but I still owe the $15.00.

            Well it is getting close to lunch time so I got to go, Hope you have a good day.

May all your bills be correct!

 

Senior person on a fixed income: Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: