Translate

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Chicken 06.20.18

               Is the question are you a chicken? Who’s a chicken, or maybe a better question would be, what a chicken is. This will all be addressed in the following dissertation.
               Before I elaborate on this subject I want to advise you of a conversation with a neighbor. I was doing the work of our grounds manager in the front yard of the Ford homestead, (yes the grounds manager was again on vacation), when a neighbor was driving by. This neighbor and a friend were in their vehicle and they stop to speak to me. I suggested that they could have arrived earlier, and helped me with my work. The neighbor stated, “It took longer than expected ordering my new boat”. I commented that he already had a boat, and he said, it wasn’t as safe as he wanted it to be, now that he is older. I noted I wish I was rich like all my retired neighbors, I could have some of those nice things too.    
               About an hour later this same neighbor pulled up in front of my house, as I was sitting on the Fords old rocker, he asked, “Is that your chicken in the road?” I did not understand what he asked so I walked out to his vehicle and he again asked, “Is that your chicken in the road?” I looked up the street and said, “That is a buzzard, not a chicken”! We both laughed and he drove on.
               Returning to the rocker, I tried to get the phone’s camera turned on and get a photo of said buzzard. Just as the camera came on the buzzard flew away.
               I should note, earlier as I was doing the grounds manager’s work raking rocks, twigs and other debris from the yard, I did observe the shadow of a large bird such as a buzzard, pass over me. I thought, have I over worked, is this buzzard waiting on me to parish? I am sure the odor from my body as I worked in that hot sun, was attractive to the buzzards nose. We now know he was circling in preparation to eat the dead squirrel in the street.
               Our rain yesterday totaled almost 1/16th of an inch. We may get the same today. Yes the sprinkler was ran this morning.
               For much of the country, summer starts tomorrow, here in Texas it started a month early. We are already tired of the heat and lack of rain. I have been complaining about the summer heat, but if it were cold, I would complain about the cold. Complaining, I mean commenting on everything is a part of my daily life!

Complain or comment now, you may not be able to tomorrow! 




Master critic   Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: