Translate

Friday, April 28, 2017

Survey 04.28.17


                As I sat in my old recliner looking out the front door, I observed a strange pickup drive down our avenue. I immediately jumped to my feet and sprinted to the door. There were two strange persons sitting in the pickup, possibly deciding what they wanted to do. Were they there to look at the home, it is for sale, or were they there to break in to a house, that is empty?
                I continued to observe these two persons. Then it happened, they exited the pickup and walked to the house. They began to measure the house, which seemed a little odd to me but…
                The two returned to the pickup and retrieved some equipment. The older person walked to the far corner of the front yard and using a metal detector began to look for a metal rod. They were there to survey the property.
                I, being a social person and somewhat nosey, I watched until they came to the corner of my yard. I then walked out to greet them. The older fellow was again using his metal detector to find the stake that marks the corner of both properties. I said, 9.5 feet from the curb and he looked at me. That is correct, he said. He found the stake. I noted that the property went to the other side of the drainage ditch. The surveyor replied, no the stake is at the back of the fence on this side of the ditch.
                I said, you may be correct, but my property goes to the other side of the ditch. The surveyor said he would check his paper work. I gave him a little time and then I went to the back yard. I noticed that he was heading for the ditch, so I proceeded to the same area. He was measuring from the stake at the back of the fence. I asked him, do you need another 30 feet?  He said he needed 28.5 feet. I pointed across the ditch and said the stake use to be there.
                He found it right where I said it would be. Why don’t they come to me first, it would save them time.
                I thanked him for surveying my property line which verified that my fence was on the line.
                I saw our resident turtle who was sitting very still under the water. I did not get a photo.
                During the same time I reviewed the Ford’s black berry patch. A couple of the berries were red and the birds had eaten part of the red berries. Then I saw it! A baby bird, no feathers, on the ground! I carefully picked it up and placed it back in the nest. The nest was damaged and the baby began to fall out. I removed it from the nest and attempted a small repair. I then replaced the baby into the nest. I decided to get some string and attempt to secure the nest. During the repair work one of the parents was watching and commenting on my being there. Hopefully the nest will hold.

Ask me first, it will save time!

Don Ford

No comments: