Translate

Friday, April 21, 2017

Better to Give... 04.21.17


Acts 20:35
It is more blessed to give than to receive.
            Notice the word, “more”, which indicates that it is both blessed to give and receive but more blessed to give.
            Let’s consider this for a moment. Why would it be more blessed to give? One does feel good when they are able to help someone either with actions or with a gift, but why.
            There is an older person attempting to load something heavy into their vehicle. Seeing        this you walk over and ask if you can help. Together you are able to get the item   loaded         into their vehicle. The older person is thankful for your help and possibly feels   blessed that someone would help. You haven’t done anything spectacular but you feel           very good (blessed) that you could help.
            For most people directly helping someone in need, is the right thing to do! It makes one feel good to help someone, or give something to someone, expecting nothing in return! Why? I don’t have an answer other than, it is the right thing to do!
            Who is needy? How do you know if someone is truly needy, or, is this person someone who would rather beg for money and not work? It is my belief that truly needy people most often do not stand at a corner with a sign stating, “Homeless”. Truly needy people are looking for a job not begging for change. 
            A store owner told me about two men who beg at a corner not far from his store. He said, “They stand at a corner a couple blocks away from his store with their sign begging. When they get enough change they get into their old truck and drive to his liquor store and buy a bottle.” What irritates him is they do this a couple times each day, and they always pay with a hand full of change.
            Different story.
            I had eaten lunch and was sitting in my truck, waiting for my wife when this beggar came up. His story was, “I am out of gas and out of money, my wife and kids are in my car (he pointed at a car with a female and kids in it) and I need money to get back to Dallas”. I was not believing this beggar, as I had heard the out of gas story from another beggar in the past. Being a dummy I mean good person, I gave him $20.00. I said, as I handed him the money, “If you really need this money I hope god blesses you, if not I hope he punishes you!”
            Two weeks later my wife and I were coming out of a different restaurant when this same man approached me with the same story. I said I know you! I turned and went inside and told the manager of the beggar on the lot. The manager came out and run him off.
            There was another time when I was sitting in my truck again waiting on the wife, when a person approached me saying, “I really need a cup of coffee, could you give me a couple bucks”? I gave the fellow two dollars, he thanked me and I watched him walk away. He went directly to the Burger place and went inside. He came back out a couple minutes later with what appeared to be a cup of coffee in his hand. Was he a beggar, a needy person or both? I don’t know but he got his coffee.
            Different subject.
            Although it is often necessary, giving to a charity does not necessarily provide the same good feeling as that of giving directly to the needy. Some charitable organizations are truly charitable, others are not so charitable, choose wisely!
            Some individuals may donate in an effort to be seen as charitable, wanting others to see how benevolent they are!
            In the bible there is a passage (Mathew 6:6) and I paraphrase, don’t pray in public in an effort to be seen as a righteous person, go into your closet and close the door. I believe that applies to giving to, and helping others. Give or help others not for your glorification, and you will be blessed. 
            It is my belief that the government should not be in the charity business. It is my opinion that Governments seldom do anything right, they should not be providing food stamps, welfare checks, cell phones and so on. 
            Churches and church organizations should be in the charity business, but all too often churches are more interested in building a new building, acquiring more property, being seen as the largest or most beautiful church in the area.

            It does make one feel good to help or give to others when one is not expecting anything in return! Give or help when you can!

Don Ford

No comments: