Translate

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

A sermon by preacher Ford 04.04.05

                It was about 7:00am this morning, and I was indulging in my morning walk. My morning walks provide me with many insightful thoughts, and I will endeavor to relate one of those thoughts, not as much as a sermon, but let’s say, “An observation”.
                I was walking east on Arkansas street with my focus fixed on a small item at the house that was in front of me. The subjects of my thoughts today had been random when something cause my focus to move to the front door of the home. As the door opened a light in the house first caught my attention. There was a rather large female subject stepping out of the door onto the front porch. This female turned to her left and walked away from the door. I instinctively knew she was not going anywhere, as there was a rail on the porch and a wall at the end of the porch.
                The female stopped and raised her hand to her mouth. In her hand was a white object. In the other hand she had ignited a match. The match was brought up to what we now know was a cigarette. I was nearing the end of Arkansas Street and could see the subject much clearer now.
                The ignited match was at the end of the cigarette and I could see the intense glow from the end of the cancer stick cigarette, as the subject sucked on the cigarette. She deeply inhaled the smoke from her first wonderful cigarette of the day. As the smoke filled her lungs, she could feel the wonderful nicotine entering her system which provided her with a feeling of, “Everything is good!”
                As I began to turn to start back down the street, I observed her exhale the smoke from her lungs. What a good feeling she had from the first drag off the tobacco stick.
                My back to her as I started down the street, I heard the sound of several rough coughs from the female subject. I thought, those rough deep coughs was a small price to pay, for the euphoria she received from the first nicotine fix of the day.  
                Now I am not directing this lecture to any one person. I am presenting it to anyone who cares.
                I have learned over the years that giving up tobacco / nicotine, is a personal decision. You can’t talk anyone into quitting. For a person to give up their addiction to nicotine, it must be a personal decision, and it will likely be one of the most difficult endeavors they ever pursue. Mom, dad, wife, husband and no one else, can talk an addict into quitting.
                I am not attempting to talk anyone into quitting, if you have a nicotine addiction it is ok with me. Oh, if you use tobacco and think you are not addicted, try to quit. You will soon learn that it is an addiction.
                I was an addict for many years. I did not smoke, I was a chewing tobacco addict.
                The company I worked for had a no smoking policy inside the building for years. Then at one point they added no tobacco use inside the building. I had to terminate two employees for using tobacco (chewing) inside the building. 
                One male subject who was working at a new center helping them get started, had gone out side for break and was chewing. Break ended and he came back inside and the manager found that he still had the chew in his mouth. They put him on a plane and sent him back to our center were we terminated him for using tobacco inside the building.
                Another time one of our employees came to me and said, another employee had spit tobacco on his shoe. I called the employee in and asked what happened and he said he opened the door to spit outside just as the other employee stepped in front of him, it wasn’t intentional. This employee was terminated for using tobacco inside the building.  
                It was about this time that I decided that I would quit. I had terminated two for using tobacco inside the building and I was concerned that I might forget and walk inside with a chew in my mouth.
                I had been working at another center covering for their manager, a week or two at a time, then back at my center. My youngest son was getting married, so I decided to stop the Sunday after my son’s wedding. The week of his wedding was also my last trip to the other center.
                Quitting was my decision. It was not easy! I was not easy to be around!
                I have been a recovered nicotine addict for 14 years now.                 

Only the addict can make the decision!

Don Ford

1 comment:

John Snider said...

I recall some of the illustrations used in your story...it is tough sometimes to be the one in charge...