Translate

Friday, April 14, 2017

On my knees again 04.14.17

I have been pulling small oak trees out of the ground in my front yard.
 
I have filled three buckets with these seedling oak trees, and the attached acorns. In the photo below we see four of these seedling oaks. An inquisitive person might ask, “How many were there and did you get them all?” There were hundreds and no I did not get them all. The three, two gallon buckets represented about half of the crop. 
 
            Since I am a good student as long as I don’t have to read the instructions, I learned I was able to get the entire seedling and root system most of the time when I used a circular motion as I pulled upward. I also observed, “When I pull them with my right hand I made a counterclockwise circular motion, when using my left hand it was just the opposite motion, which is clockwise for the one reader who has difficulty comprehending. I crawled around about half of the front yard in this endeavor. Yep, my fingers are sore.
            During this endeavor I learned, if you want to talk to your neighbors one should get on their hands and knees in the front yard. Neighbors for some reason have a need to talk, when you are trying to work. Sit outside in the old rocker and they will never stop to talk, all you get is a wave.

                Changing the subject:

                My previous posting was titled red line in the sand and it was about a white line on the road caused by bird droppings. Now if you did not read that wonderful posting you know what it was about and you don’t need to go back and read it.
            This morning as I was beginning my morning walk, I observed another white line on the street. This white line was not cause by bird droppings. It must have been placed there by a higher authority. Could it have been placed there in an effort to keep me focused when I walk? This white line went all the way down the street, directing my attention to the red diamond sign I focus on when I walk. Click to enlarge.
            When I reached the end of the block there was another white line on the other side of the street directing me back up the street. This same white line directed me down Arkansas Street helping me keep my focus on the air conditioner next to the house at the end of the block. When I turned at the end of Arkansas and started back toward the Homestead, there was a white line directing me back to the starting point. Does it seem like the force is strong with me!
 
            There was an unusual event that occurred in Hewitt yesterday. As I was on my hands and knees, praying to a higher authority, asking that all these oak seedlings would miraculously be removed from my yard, a street sweeper came up and down our street. This street sweeper is a large truck with a very big vacuum on it. It cleaned the streets very nicely. After the street sweeper had cleaned the streets, that is when the white line appeared. Would you believe the sweeper cleaned the dust and dirt off the street exposing the white line left by a higher authority?
            I guess it is possible the sweeper made the white line as it drove up and down the street.

Have a good Easter, and consider the true meaning of Easter!

Don Ford

No comments: