Translate

Monday, April 10, 2017

Fixed income blues 04.10.17

                As you should know, we here at the Ford Homestead are retired and on a fixed income. The fixed income does not help when ones expenses are not fixed. For anyone who feels sorry for us, you may go to the web site to donate. 
                “Why are we talking about money”, he asked. The response was, “we needed a small table to sit near the Ford’s Old Rocker”.
                Yes, the old small table that has been positioned near the old rocker was breaking up due to the sun having shined on it for a few years now. Plastic does not do well in the sun. Our in house carpenter was on vacation, so the task of creating a new small table fell to me. Now we all know I am a good wood butcher, but I am less skilled at creating usable items from wood. Yes I have built several wooden chests which are still in service, but this project would be different due to the fixed income.
                I walked around the property looking for any scrap wood I may have available to build a small, yet usable table. In the following photo you will see an old piece of scrap wood, that came from and old porch swing that we had purchased over a quarter century ago. When the swing become un-usable, I removed the slats.  These slats which are Cypress, have been tied in a bundle laying outside for many years.
 
                If my memory serves me, which it does, I made dominos out of some of these slats in years past. 
                As one may be able to see, the old wood would need some sanding to remove the weathered exterior. I did have to waste valuable resources to purchase some screws, which would hold the small table together. I founds some left over white paint, so I did not need to expend more income on this small table.
                The completed project was introduced yesterday afternoon when I sat the Ford’s old tablet on it, while I rocked in the Ford’s old rocker.
 
                Different subject, I examined the black berry vines yesterday, and the bird has almost completed its nest, although that is not the news. If all those Green berries turn ripe at once, we will be over loaded with black berries. It appears to be a bumper crop coming our way.
May your day be filled with happiness!

Don Ford

No comments: