Translate

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Stop complaining 05/21/2019

            It hasn’t been too long ago when someone commented about all the work that went into receiving, unloading, checking, stocking, updating inventory, receiving orders, filling, and packing, shipping, and again adjusting inventory.

            Now days, most of this is done via computer, or a computer type device. The orders are sent in from the customer via computer, then processed through the business via computers and scanners. Companies now days don’t send a printed packing list with the orders, it is done via computer. The business who will receive the product in a day or two, will be able to see the packing list on their computers immediately, and know what is, or is not, on its way.

 

            I worked for GESCO, “General Electric Supply Company”, about 100 years ago. It was not a huge business even though we provided the local utilities with transformers and some overhead wire. Most of our business was with Electricians, both local and within about a 75 mile radius of Cape. There were three people who worked at GESCO, the manager, a sales person, and a warehouse person, me

            The manager sat around and went through papers acting as if he was working. The sales man, when in the office would often be on the phone acting as if he was trying to get orders. The warehouseman me, did all the work.

            A truck would show up and I would unload it. I did not mind a load of light bulbs, or a load of tools, they were easy to work with. Everything was done manually as we did not have a fork lift. We did have something that was used like a fork lift, but it was all manual. You could push it to the back of the truck, then crank up the platform to be level with the truck and then you could slide a transformer from the truck to the platform. Manually you could push this very heavy device to the location where you want to sit the transformer and slide the transformer off the plate into its location.  

            When the truck was unloaded I would sign the bill and go to the office and get the paper purchase order (aka PO). I would check the product in against the PO. When everything was checked in I then put each item in its location. 

            After everything was put away I would then take the PO and packing lists to the card file. In this set of files we manually kept our inventory. Each item had a card with the item identification. I would record the amount received on the proper card and then go to the next item. All receipts were recorded this way.

            The salesman would give me hand written orders to be filled. I would fill these orders, pack them, fill out a shipping document, call the truck line for a pick up, load the product on the truck and then head back to the card files to deduct the items from inventory.

            During the day I had other responsibilities such as counter sales. Counter sales were at times interesting. Often an electrician would come in with a list of things he needed. I would get the list, and fill the order while the sales man would go to get coffee with the electrician.

            That wasn’t so bad until, you got the electrician with a piece of cardboard that had some drawings on it, and a few words. I learned to ask questions about the cardboard orders. They may have wanted an electrical panel, the breakers, a couple boxes of 12/2 with ground, 30 outlets, 15 switches, a few three-way switches and so on.

            When they returned they expected you to have it ready and waiting. I was pretty good at filling those orders.

            Did I mention that my other responsibility was too keep the office and warehouse swept and clean. At the time, I didn’t understand that I was preparing myself for the future.

 

            One day there was an ad in the paper that HWI was accepting applications. I took off work and applied. I interviewed with three HWI people. The last person I interviewed with seemed to be impressed that I had experience in this type work, was married, was buying a home, I had a vehicle which was paid for. Even though they did not say it, when I left the interview I knew I had the job.

            Several weeks later I received the call with an offer to work for HWI. I had to explain that I was in the National Guards and we were going on a two week training. I could not start on the first, I could start on the 14th.

            Experience at another employer is why I was picked for HWI.

            I was one of the few people that understood working in a warehouse setting. I quickly became the person that the staff would go to with questions.  

 

I know this wasn’t interesting to you, but I enjoyed the walk down memory lane!

 

 

We don’t know what the future holds for us!

 

Don Ford         


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: