Translate

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Did you Notice 12.14.17

                You would think that they would notice, even though it was only a slight change. The slight change occurred after 46 years and yet no one noticed. Wouldn’t you think something that had been there for all those years and then it was gone, someone would have noticed? As I sit here putting this soon to be well written article together, I can hear a bird or birds chirping outside the Homestead. I wonder what they have to be so vocal about, it is near freezing outside.
                Possibly they have found something good to eat or maybe they are just happy that the hawk is not flying around this morning. Whatever the reason, they are making a lot of noise.
                I woke up this morning with an ache in my left hip joint. Maybe I slept on that side too much, or maybe it is due to carrying my billfold in my left back pocket for 112 years. Well it seems like that many years. I have tried of late, to not have the billfold in that same pocket, but do you know how hard it is to break the habitual use of a pocket? If you are a female with a purse, you can skip the next paragraph. 
                I placed my billfold in my right back pocket and headed out. I stopped at the bank to get a couple dollars from the ATM.                 Habitually I reached for my left back pocket to procure my billfold. Finding nothing there, I then searched my memory to see if I had in deed brought the billfold with me. I then remembered, it was indeed in my right pocket, which proved to be the wrong pocket. I could not get the billfold out of my pocket without undoing the seat belt first. After withdrawing my three dollars allowance from the ATM, I started to replace the billfold in my left back pocket. Memory kicked in, and I changed the attempt to place said billfold in my right back pocket. It would not go. I gave up and place the billfold in the center console, reattached the seat belt and unhappily drove away. Old habits are hard to break.
                Also, there was a receipt from the previous ATM user. It showed $500.00 withdrawn and $9.73 left in the account. Someone was getting ready for Christmas.
Change the topic:
                Over the last few weeks I had given some consideration to removing my mustache which had been on my face for 46 years. Most people had never seen me without a mustache. I have been of the opinion that having to trim it was more trouble that it was worth.
                While at home alone on Friday Dec. 8th, with nothing better to do, I decided to remove the hair from under my nose. It feels odd. Breathing through my nose I can feel the air pass over my upper lip. Any time I touch my upper lip it feels so odd. I took a photo and I do look different. I thought everyone would notice immediately and comment on said hair removal.
                On December 9th, 2017 I posted a photo of me, “Santa Ford”, the posting was titled, “Bah Humbug”. To this date (12/14/17) I have not received a comment about the handsome man, with the Santa hat, and no mustache! I must assume that my readers are not observant, or more hurtful, they are not reading my posts!
                My first encounter with a human was with Alex when I picked him up at school. He did not notice.
                My second encounter was with my son David as we sat outside and talked while Alex road his scooter up and down the driveway. We sat there and talked for about 20 minutes and he did not notice.
                My third encounter was with my spouse of 48 years, if anyone would notice, she should. She did not notice. I asked my spouse of 48 years if she wanted to go out to supper, to which her response was, yes! We went to Georges, a local favorite of many. We enjoyed the food but not the noise of all the people who seem to be having a good time. The young waitress came to our table with the bill and I told her, “Give the bill to that other table, we are old and we don’t have any money”. She responded, “Old people have plenty of money, it is the young people who don’t have money”! We received the bill.
                Toward the end of supper I popped the question, “did you notice I have shaved my mustache off”? My spouse of 48 years response was, “No”. She then went on the say, “It was all gray anyway”!
                Four days after the hair removal, and the first time our daughter-in-law Claire and I had talked since the event she said, “You shaved”. I said, you are the first to notice! She is, observant and aware of her surroundings!
                Seven days later and the first time Glen and I had talked since the event, he quickly noticed that I had removed the mustache. I told him he was the second to notice. He is, observant and aware of his surroundings!
                I have developed a hypothesis which goes like this. “Most people, young and old alike, do not see senior citizens!” If you do not agree with my hypothesis, consider the following. Two people walk into a room, one is young, good looking, well dressed or, oddly dressed, the other person a senior, dress like seniors dress, you momentarily glance at the two then you give a closer look at the young person. Whether you are male or female that hypothesis applies.
                No one noticed. How hurtful that a wonderful senior retired person, is no longer seen!
                                                                
click to enlarge

Be observant, it is good for others!

Don Ford       

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don you look younger!

Merry Christmas!