Translate

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Shocking situation 12.02.17

                We, the poorer people, can’t afford all the niceties (that is the first time I have ever wrote that word, niceties) those of you who are of the wealthy class, enjoy. Being retired and relying on a small social security check, along with picking up aluminum cans and eating road kill soup, we can’t hire outside professional people to make repairs here at the Fords Homestead.
                Yes, the Ford’s Homestead had an outside light, which use to provide light over the Ford’s driveway during those Dark and cold nights! I hope you noticed that I said had, as the old light gave up a couple days ago. The old light was a 42 watt, florescent security light, and it did a nice job. I have in the past purchased these lights during an annual junk sale at my past employer, keeping one on hand at all times, as they have a tendency to last a couple years and then need to be replaced. No, not the bulb, but the fixture failed usually in a couple years.
                When this light went bad, I went to the Ford’s old shed to get the replacement. As I carried the box containing the new fixture to the garage, I noticed that this unit was much heavier than expected. Arriving at the garage I opened the box and find that the light is different. The old units have always been made of plastic, which made them very light and easy to install.
                This new unit is made of metal, it is not florescent but mercury vapor. I brought my step ladder up from the garage and started the process to remove the old unit, including the base, which I did not need to replace when I was using the plastic units.
                I try to be very safe when working with electric wires. I removed the wire nut from the black wire and then as I started to remove the nut from the white wire, I told myself, do not come in contact with either of the bare wires.  Being a professional I did not touch either of the wires even though I thought I had deactivated the switch. My next move was to check the wires with a voltage tester. I touched the wire with the tester and found 124 volts of electricity, the wires were still hot!
                I carefully, and should I say thankfully, climbed down from the aluminum ladder and deactivated the switch. I then climbed back up the ladder using the proper OSHA climbing method of, three in contact at all times. That means two hands and one foot, or two feet and one hand in contact with the ladder at all times. I tested the wires and they are no longer hot!
                With the base removed I can see that I will need to repaint the area where the base was, and then install the new unit.
                Three coats of paint applied to the area. Tomorrow I will attempt to install the new unit.

**           **           **           **           **           **           ** 
                It is now Friday morning, I have tested the new light by temporarily applying a wire with a plug and testing the day and night on off switch, and it works. I placed the ladder against the house and began the process of drilling holes for the screws that will hole the unit in place. There was a couple problems with the drilling but I was able to complete the task. I have used a bucket attached to a rope which was attached to the top of the ladder as my way of bringing up the needed tools.
                It was time to set the unit in place so I carefully attached a rope and climbed the ladder. I gently pulled the assembled light up to the top of the ladder. The idea is to set the unit on the bottom two screws and then insert the top screw. I quickly learned it would have been easier if I would have had three arms and hands. I also learned there was very little room in which to place the top screw and then get the ratchet on the screw. Being a non-professional it only took about half a day to tighten the screws.
                The sun was beating down on me as I balanced precariously at the top of this ladder. I was trying to get the wires through a half inch hole up into the arm of the unit. The wire connections need to be inside the arm to keep them out of the weather. I became frustrated and decided to stop the work and take a well-deserved break. It was almost lunch time anyway, and I needed some fuel.
                I ate lunch and went to the Ford’s old recliner for a short nap. The short nap ended up taking about 30 minutes. Awake and refreshed I again approached the wiring issue. I was able to get the wires with the wire nuts through the half inch hole. There was one other complication and a little jury-rigging. I, standing at ground level, observed a couple areas that should have been caulked, so I again ascended the Fords ladder to complete the project.  
                I went up and down the ladder many times (probably 20 times) and my legs were tired. I and thankful that I stayed safe during the work. I do have a platform of sorts that allows me to stand with both feet on a flat surface which made the work much more comfortable. Photos to follow.

               In the above photo we see the top of the Fords ladder, if you click on the photo you can more clearly see the device used to cover the photo eye in an effort to test it (a black plastic bucket). There is what appears to be a wire hanging below the light but it isn’t a wire, it is the rope to the bucket.
                Below is proof of the new lights ability to light the area and we also see the light on the garage door opener is working. One might notice that the door to the house is also open. The water spots by the Ford’s van is from the ice that I tossed out of my glass after a drink of diet soda. 

              Foot note:
              My spouse of 48 years suggested that the new light be turned off. That would allow passersby to              focus on the Christmas decorations. 

                Two neighbors commented on the lack of light coming from the Ford Homestead, due to the old light being out, let’s see if the new light helps.

May your weekend be safe and fun!

Don Ford

No comments: