Translate

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Wednesday July 30th 2019

            Although I am writing this on Tuesday, I do plan to post it on Wednesday, and that is why the title line is Wednesday, even though it is about Tuesday.
            Tuesday my spouse of 5 decades and I went to the tax office, we needed to update a title. On the way to or from the Tax office I thought of a word, “Revert”. As that work flopped around in my empty head, it came to me that I should consider writing about words. If you finish reading this posting that may mean your head is as empty as mine!
            Before I get too involved in writing about words I would like to tell you of something that happened this afternoon. I was sitting on the Ford’s ole rocker near the garage door when a very small brown colored lizard came out of the grass and onto the drive. This little lizard appeared to be almost transparent. Tres saw him and was going to investigate but I stopped him. The lizard was about two feet away from my feet and laying very still. From out of the sky came a sparrow landing about one foot away from the lizard. I waved my arm at the bird and he /she left. The little lizard then ran under my chair and into the flower bed. My good deed for the day!
            Back to my thoughts about words. The word revert got me to thinking, what does vert mean. You put a “Re” in front of vert and you get a verb meaning, to return to… So what does vert mean, does it have a meaning? Vert: green forest vegetation especially when forming cover or providing food for deer. Who knew!
            My empty head started flopping the word around again and I came up with the following.
Avert, to stop a green vegetation?
Covert, to hide the green vegetation?
Divert, to turn away the vegetation?
Evert, a guy who lives up the street?
Overt, help unconcealed the vegetation?
Pervert, to corrupt the vegetation?
Revert, to return to the green vegetation?
Subvert, to disrupt the green vegetation?
Vertical, help the green vegetation grow upright?

            I did use my new tool yesterday, I removed the grass from around about 15 sprinkler heads. I did learn that when inserting the new tool around the sprinkler head, one should always turn it to the right, to cut the grass.
            In the olden days when I was a first responder, there was a saying. “Righty tighty, lefty loosey! Most things tighten when turned to the right, and loosen when turned to the left. Sprinkler heads work the same way. I turned one to the left and loosened it. Yes I tightened it back down, at least I think I did. If you don’t know about the new tool, you should read the previous post.
            While working on the heads I had an accident. Yep, I know it is difficult to believe that a careful senior retired person would somehow be involved in a fall. First let me explain the situation. I was using a stool like one would use in a shower, if they want, or need to sit down while taking a shower. My first wife paid $2 for it at a garage sale. Photo to follow.

                                  
            Allow me to continue. I sit on the stool as if I were riding a horse, one of the hand holes is in front and one in the back. I don’t know if you can see it or not, but the dark spot in the grass to the left of the stool is a sprinkler head. Sitting on the stool I would lean forward and work on the head. It is much more comfortable than being on ones knees, and about 12 inches above the ground. When I would finish a head, I would secure the tools in one hand and grab the stool by the front hand hole and move to the next head.
            This all worked fine until I set the stool on a slight incline. I sat down and worked on the head, no problem. I then gathered the tools and took hold of the front hand hole as I sit up in a vertical position, a little too close to the back hand hole.
            You may have guessed, me and the stool went backwards onto the ground. When my behind hit the ground I almost did a back flip. My feet went up in the air. I started laughing and at the same time hoping none of the neighbors saw the flip.
            I got up, and gathered the tools and stool, and went to the next head. I no longer sit the stool on unleveled ground. Glad the grass and ground were soft.
            The grand kids are here today so that will likely keep us focused. The grand kids occasionally say that I annoy them. My favorite granddaughter (only granddaughter) has a new shirt, which she bought just for me. Photo to follow.

                                  
            Above is Gabi, she is 12 years old and was using her computer with the headphones. I asked if I could take a photo, I may have annoyed her, but she consented. It is really good to know that the grand kids think of their grandpa! J

May your day be filled with appreciation!

Senior highly appreciated and annoying grandpa, Don Ford



Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: