Translate

Friday, July 5, 2019

The day after 07/05/2019

            Today is the day after, now that I think of it, every day is the day after. Heck, I shouldn’t start thinking about things, because my mind can’t handle a lot of extra thoughts, but since I am already thinking, “Every day is not only the day after but every day is also the day before!” Who knew my mind could conceive all that.

            Today is Friday, the day after the Fourth. Now we all know holidays are for resting and having fun. I was resting on the Ford’s ole recliner when I realized I was tired of resting, what could I do to help me not be so bored. I didn’t want to do anything that was too challenging, so I looked outside. It appeared that the sun was behind the clouds so I decided to get the spreader and some fire ant killer and cover the front yard. That wasn’t too difficult, I just had to walk fast so the spreader would spread the granules properly.

            Completing the spreading, I went to the back yard and spread the remaining granules. I did drop some of the product on some ant mounds that or outside but close to the fence. I washed the spreader and put it away.

            I decided I should cut some small limbs off a couple trees, you know the ones they are about 3 to 4 feet long and growing on places where you don’t want them. Using my pole saw, I began to cut these branches. That part of the job took about 20 minutes. These small branches are now laying around, and I now have to pick them all up and put them on the trailer. Senior retired people should not have to bend over and pick up branches.

            Now I had told you the sun was behind the clouds, well the clouds had left and the sun was warming up everything. There was a dead limb in a tree in the front yard and I had wanted to cut it for some time. I took the ole pole saw out front and extended it as far as it would go. The pole saw is 14 feet when extended and I was able to reach the dead limb. This limb was about 4 inches at the base and more than 20 feet long.

            I was hoping it would fall without hitting anything of value. Dead wood is harder to cut than live wood, this took several minutes and a couple short breaks. Usually a limb will drop slightly before falling, this one did not. Finally and suddenly without warning, it fell. Luckily it did not hit anything of value.

            I then pulled it to the drive way. I walked over to the other dead limb on a different tree but the pole saw would not reach the limb. I walked to the shed and procured the 8 foot step ladder and brought it to the front. Properly placing the ladder, I could then reach the dead limb. A neighbor came over and asked if he could help. We both looked at the limb and tried to decide where it would fall. There were flowers, vases, along with solar lights and sprinkler heads in the area. Darrel was in his pickup and he said he needed to take the groceries home and he would be right back.

            I decided to start on the cut assuming it would take some time. I was about half way up the ladder which gave me the correct cutting height. This limb came down very quickly. It fell exactly where Darrel said it would. When he got back I was standing there looking at what I needed to clean up.

            It was nice that he would offer to help a senior person. I believe he did not want to see a senior person who will be 72 next month, climb a ladder. We have good neighbors!

            With the limbs cut, I then needed to return the tools to the shed, then I pulled all the limbs to the back yard near the trailer. I cut the limbs into pieces and put them on the trailer, then I returned to the front and picked up all the small broken parts of the limb.

            Finished with all the work I took a 10 minute break, then I asked my spouse of 50 years to help me wash the dog. That is a chore in its self, the dog is now clean.

            My present spouse made us a light supper.

            I told you all this just so you know how nice it is to relax on a holiday.

 

I am always thankful that I have been blessed in many ways. Some of those blessings allow me to continue doing all the things I do!

 

Be thankful for everything you are able to do!

 

Blessed senior person: Don Ford


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: