Translate

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

A license to 07/10/2019

            Once in a while, the state of Texas needs money, so they send some of their residents a letter saying, “It’s time to renew your license”. What that means is you are required to drive to one of their locations, fill out some forms, let them take a photo, and pay them $33.00. The form you fill out asks you to donate to several different agencies, if you do, that means more money.

            I am going to drive to Gatesville this morning (35.2 miles one way) to renew my license, as there will probably be less people in line, and I will not need to drive through all the highway work in Waco on I-35.

            I listened to others and I should not have. I went to Gatesville to avoid the crowds. I was told by a couple people that they went there and there was no one in line, they were in and out in a few minutes.

            I arrived and after asking several people where the Driver’s license office was, I found it. It is a dirty looking building, shared by a hearing aid company. There was a sign stating something to the effect, if the chairs are all full, do not wait in the hallway, wait outside the building. There were people waiting in the hallway. I took a number 37. The number they were working with was 19, 18 people ahead of me.

            I did not follow the rule and wait outside, I waited in the hall way. #19 finished, they called #20. I waited almost an hour and they never called #21. The fellow standing next to me, although he seemed like a nice person, smelled like a nasty ashtray. Finally, I handed my number to the fellow next to me and said I am leaving.

            70 miles driven, stood in a dark smelly hall way, I never seen the inside of the office, a total waste of my time. I will try the Waco DPS tomorrow, at least they have chairs to sit in while you wait.

 

Different subject:

            There is a satellite radio company that I receive signals from. Each time my subscription needs to be renewed, I call and tell them to cancel as the price is too high. Then they go through the song and dance and cut the price and I usually accept the new price. I then put the renew dates in my computer and phone. When the date comes due again I call them again.

            To renew my service it will cost me $130.00 and that is only for the vehicle radio.

            When I go to their web site they have an offer for new service to the vehicle radio, and to the computer and phone combined, all for $99.00. I click on the offer and enter my info and it pops up saying you already have service. That means to me, we got you and we don’t what you to have this service at this price!

            I will call them in a couple days and tell them to cancel my service. In truth, if they don’t offer me the $99.00 service they will lose me as a customer!

Back to driver’s license:

            On Wednesday I went to the Waco DPS to renew my license. I left home at 7:30 and arrived at the DPS at 8:00. There were plenty of people ahead of me. They gave me a number and asked if I had a notarized birth certificate or a pass port. Luckily I took the Birth record.

            The entire process took about 40 minutes, I did see them turn several people away for not having the birth certificate or pass port. The person that help me was nice, the trip back home took another half hour. The total time today, and I renewed the driver’s license, was less than half the time I wasted yesterday. 

 

            The grandees are here and tomorrow my spouse of 50 years is going out to lunch with some friends, celebrating her 36th, 35th birthday. Think about that, and you might be able to come up with the number of 70! (The 35th birthday, which equals one, plus 35 more birthdays, equals 36, 35th birthdays.) If you can’t understand that don’t worry, I know it is correct.

            Gabi is going out to lunch with Donna and friends tomorrow, and Alex is going out to lunch with me. Alex and I haven’t determined where we will go yet.

 

May your day be filled with Family and friends!

 

Senior friendly person; Don Ford

 

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments: