Translate

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

My cell phone broke 08.08.18

            I had been outside watering the flowers, I completed that task and headed in for a light beverage. I always carry my cell phone in my back pocket, in an effort to butt dial someone. It hasn’t happened yet, butt I keep trying. (Did you catch that play on words?) Anyway, after a long day of working in the yard and then a few minutes of relaxed drinking, I noticed that my cell phone wasn’t working.

            Actually that statement is not a totally true statement, the cell phone was working but, the screen would not project an image. You are correct, I should not have said the screen would not project, I should have said display an image, thanks for correcting me! When you can’t see the screen you can’t touch the right place to make or receive a call.

            It was getting close to bed time, so I wasn’t too concerned about the phone not displaying, as I turn said phone off at night. Yes, we still have a house phone for emergency calls. I decided to pull the battery which turned the phone off. I then reinstated said battery and plugged it in to charge it. I guess I was hoping it would somehow be working in the morning.

            Morning came and it still did not work. I tried all the usual, like battery removal and replaced again, checking the sim card and the memory card. Those activities not helping, I tried pushing the reset button to no avail, then I tried hitting the phone on the desk a few times and still nothing. OK, got to buy a new cell phone.

            Can I find one like I have? That way this retired senior person would not have to learn anything new. Wally world was out of stock, and they would notify me when they were back in stock but I did not want to wait. I found it on line but it would have been over one hundred dollars and would have taken a couple days to get here. What if someone wanted to call me? We will consider that question later.

            I found a phone that was similar, made by the same people and the same size. It also has the power button on the back, and the volume on the left side. Buttons on the right side of a phone are there for me to push accidently when picking the phone up or taking it from my pocket. This cell phone is probably a notch dumber than the previous phone I had, and $10.00 cheaper.

            I am not going to go over the fact that we live on a fixed income, or the fact that my wife picks up aluminum cans to help make ends meet, you all know that, and I will not ask for donations of $25.00 or more to help us get through this rough period.

              I did go to Wally world and purchased a pre-paid cell phone for $39.00. I have now moved the sim card and the memory card into the new phone. Much of the old info automatically moved to the cell phone. I did have to reenter my email address into the phone and I did need to answer some questions. The old phone had a protective case, which fits the new phone. It is working now, I would be happy if we weren’t in debt for the purchase price!

            I noted earlier that I would comment on the question, What if someone wanted to call me? In a days’ time, I get calls, none of which are from people I know. I have my phone set up on, “Do not disturb”, any calls not from someone on my contact, list will not come through. These calls show up on the display but the phone does not ring. I then block the number so the phone will not accept their calls again. I possibly get one call from someone I know on the cell phone monthly. I get several text messages and I check the email via the phone.

            To me it is odd, how not having a working cell phone seems to be the main thing one thinks about. Even those of us who do not rely on them as much as young people do, still miss them when they are gone.

            We are supposed to have a 50% chance of rain for 3 days beginning on Thursday. We are only 11.5 inches behind for the year, we will take any amount of rain.

 

Drought not, lest ye be dry!

Electronics Repairperson;      Don Ford

 

No comments: