Translate

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

It happened to us 08.07.18

            This has never happened before, at least not at this level.

            The day started as most do, with the so-called news and a couple cups of coffee while I sat in the Ford’s ole recliner. My first wife and I eventually got dressed and headed out to the restaurant for brunch. We arrived and were told it would be 20 to 30 minutes before we would be seated. That time allowed my spouse of 49 years to shop in a non-hurried manner.

            We know many of the staff that work at the restaurant and we enjoy greeting them along with the occasional hug. After about 20 minutes they took us to a table. We order our meals and then indulged in conversation about the way some people dress. We often comment on people who have numerous tattoos, odd or very large tattoos, and various modes of dress. My spouse, having been around me over the years, has learned to participate in these discussions. Heck, she often sees these people before I do. Well, you must have something to discuss while you eat, and with the strangers all around what better to talk about.

            The conversation was lively and the food was good. The server was a fellow we have known for several years and our service was good. As we were finishing I asked for a cup of coffee to go and the bill. The coffee was brought to the table and our server started to hand me the bill, but he stopped and said, “Wrong bill, I will be right back”. He returned and said, “Someone paid your bill”! We asked who paid the bill and he said, “He didn’t know who paid”, he continued saying, “When someone pays another person’s bill, they usually like to be anonymous”.

            We were very surprised and curious. I left a tip and we walked out to the cashier. I told the young man that we did not have a bill, and we were told that someone had paid our bill. I asked if he knew who paid our bill. He said he had no idea. I said we are leaving, and we don’t have a bill, he said he believed me.

            How much better could it get, we had lunch and some anonymous person paid. We still wonder if it was someone we know, or a complete stranger.

 

May you enjoy anonymous as much as we have!

 

Appreciative senior;   Don Ford

 

           

No comments: